Used Bow Questions

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by TheWardedMan, Dec 22, 2015.

1. TheWardedMan

TheWardedMan Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So I'm looking for a new bow and being left handed it's pretty difficult to find the one I really want. However, on a left handed specific fb group, I found a left handed prime rival for sale. The problem is I'm in Missouri and the bow is in Michigan. It looks well taken of but I don't think I like buying a bow that I can't physically hold or shoot. What do you think?

2. PSEHunter79

PSEHunter79 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think purchasing a bow without shooting it may be a mistake, if you have a local shop that sells the same model bow, go there and shoot it first. Unless you aren't very picky and just want to buy the bow and shoot it.. Personally, I prefer to shoot a bow first. They all draw differently, feel different, shoot different, some may hold on target better for you than others, vibration, etc etc

3. TheWardedMan

TheWardedMan Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm going to try one out at my local shop but I'm more concerned about not shooting that bow specifically.

4. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't worry about it. If you can shoot the model bow and like it I'd have no worries buying unseen. There are some worse case senario but the chances if them happening are slim. Just ask for a lot of pics and you should see and issues.

5. TheWardedMan

TheWardedMan Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds good. I have to have prime send a lefty rival to a local shop to test it out.

6. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You could also have him email you a video of him shooting it. Chances are he won't be too brave if the bow is damaged.

7. TheWardedMan

TheWardedMan Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Good tip! I'll have him do that. Never would've thought of that.

8. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've for probably 25 new and used Bows on wine and I never had any real issues to speak of..... be patient and keep looking on places like here and archery talk. Talk to the person on the phone to answer all your questions and you should be good to go.

The vast majority of guy selling bows are just happy to get rid of them at a fair price and are not looking to screw anybody

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  9. PSEHunter79

PSEHunter79 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Agree with most others, you can get great bows at 50% off buying used, just make sure you shoot them first at the proshop! Everybody has different opinions on what smooth draw is, so don't rely on what others say all the time. I wouldn't be worried about getting a damaged bow that much, I'd be more concerned with how it draws over all else.

10. TheWardedMan

TheWardedMan Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome. Now I just have to wait for Prime to send a Rival to my local shop for me to try out. It's pretty awesome that they do that.