Thinking about purchasing a used compound

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by quickstick, Apr 3, 2016.

1. quickstick

quickstick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not new to archery as I've shot traditional for 30+ yrs. My 15 year old son is getting into hunting & I just don't have the time to practice with my recurve.

I bought my son a Mathews SQ2. Its an older bow but really nice. He's a lefty & got a great deal on it. I'm right handed & just cant afford to spend over $300

Any suggestions?

2. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    First things first. If you have a bowshop near by go there and find out your draw length and potentially what poundage is comfortable for you. Its very important that the bow fit you, else accuracy suffers. Many people tend to over kill poundage. If you are hunting whitetails 50# is plenty with a good cut on contact broadhead.

For your draw length to get you close if yo measure your wingspan tip to tip and divide by 2.5 that will get you close.

Once you find your specs then start checking forums and eBay for used equipment. For your price range you will be limited but it can be done. Good luck and keep us posted on how you do.

3. quickstick

Dislikes Received:
    As I've shot traditional for a long time, draw wt doesn't bother me much. With todays let offs, you'd be hard pressed to hold the 52-70 lbs of my recurves and long bows. My Son's Mathews was set for 70lbs, and before we lowered it for him, I shot a few arrows, lefty! I was surprised that I hit the target, but the wt didn't bother me.

Draw length..... Well 28 with recurve, but I'll get it checked. I'm thinking that it will change some with a release.

Yeah, I'm def limited in this price range. I might need to sell of one of my recurves.... All bows have shot up in price since I've been out.

Thanks a lot

4. BuffaloBill

BuffaloBill Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You could shop around for a used Elite. They have a lifetime transferable warranty. That's probably what I would go with if I were buying used.

5. quickstick

Dislikes Received:
    Wow! I think I'm in sticker shock.

I see a Mathews Reezen that might end in or around my price range. From what I've read, not a very smooth pulling bow, but neither are my others.

Any thoughts?

6. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Mathews along with a lot of the older bows were tough to handle.

As has been suggested, Elite is a good used purchase, not only for their transferrable lifetime warranty but they tend to be a lot easier drawing bows and since you are transitioning from trad shooting, it will be an easier transition.

7. quickstick

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks! I'll check them out

8. Longdraw

Longdraw Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I found the bow I liked and watched eBay for one. I wound up bidding on a few but they went over my limit. Eventually I got one that I could afford, put on new string, sight, and rest, and have been using it for a few years now. I have had the chance to shoot a few deer, but only had permission to actually let an arrow fly at 1 and KILLED it :-)
    So I'm 1 for 1.
    Good luck!

9. quickstick

Dislikes Received:
    Longdraw - what did you end up getting for a bow?

Anyone else heard of a Martin Rytera Alien? I saw a couple reviews on here a while back, but they were all new purchases. Anyone had / used one for a while?

10. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Be sure to check ebay. There are several sellers that are unloading old stock of discontinued bows for great prices.

For example, I happened across a Bear Attitude, Tremor, and Authority that can be bought new for $300 - $400. Years of manufacture are 2014 and 2015.

11. mackin2287

mackin2287 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I got a 2015 model ready to hunt package fairly cheap at huntersfriend.com they setup the bow and test it from 10-35yrds and do a paper test and send it all in the package. I'll buy from them again if need be

ImageUploadedByBowhunting.com Forums1460057919.070510.jpg

12. quickstick

Dislikes Received:
    Well, i bought the Rytera Alien but was very uncomfortable with the grip. My brother shot it extremely well right away. I shot my sons mathews sq2 & just loved it (even though its a LH bow & I'm a RH). Ive got a bid on ebay for a mathews Legacy & so far its going pretty cheap.