Starting the season with a new bow.. Which one to get??

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Hemimonstew, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Hemimonstew

Hemimonstew Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys, I started last season out as a new archer, and at the end of the season I sold my pse stinger 3G to a buddy because I planned to get something New Anyways. I loved my pse stinger 3G it shot great but my buddy was shooting a 1988 bear bow and he needed an upgrade. Now I am in the market for my second bow ever, and would like some suggestions. I don't want to spend a whole lot but I do understand that most new bows now are over the 600 and up price. I'd like to stay around 4-500 if I can. I don't mind buying the accessories later since I have all year to do so. But can anyone suggest a good bow? I was thinking about getting a pse brute force or maybe a stinger x if I had to. But I'd really like to uparade from the stinger 3G I had. Also looked at some bear bows.

My draw length is 29" and my draw weight was set to 62lbs. So I'd like to get something that can max out at 70#. Someone told me I want something longer as it is more forgiving. Can someone explain to me what they meant about this? I am new to this so sorry if I ask dumb questions.

2. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    As to the longer question, with today's bows, I don't find that to be as much of a consideration as it used to be.
    The same with brace height.

This is the fun time if you "have to have' a new bow. I love to go to every bow shop that I can and shoot every bow that I can. It's also a great time to buy as the new models are coming and most shops are discounting last year's bows so you can buy a great bow for a great price. Have fun.

3. Hemimonstew

Hemimonstew Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am kind of leaning towards a bear cruzer but I would like something I will have for a while. I don't really want to grow out of something so soon. I see people buying new bows every year and for the price of these bows I would hope to buy one and keep it a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

4. BrassMonkey911

BrassMonkey911 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I shot the PSE Driver and Hoyt Powermax. The Powermax was super smooth for me. I think bow only is like $550 or something.

5. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'd look into these 2 personally.....

Bowtech Icon - https://bowtecharchery.com/bows/carbon-icon/
    I bought the Carbon Knight in 2014 when I started bow hunting and this is the "nextgen" of it. The carbon knight was fantastic. 3.2lbs bare bow and I killed several turkey and 2 deer with it. Never had any issues and it shot great. I only upgraded because I wanted to, not because I had to. MSRP with Bowtech's accessories is $749 and the bare bow should be about $500 - $550.

Hoyt PowerMax - PowerMax | Hoyt.com
    This is the "nextgen" Charger. I shot the Charger when I was choosing in 2014 and was set on it until I went to my local pro shop. It shot really nice and the price was right, $499 bare bow. It had just a twitch of vibration the Bowtech didn't so I went with the Bowtech. PowerMax is only 4lbs bare bow and Hoyt makes quality stuff.

I think either of these would make good bows and last until you wanted to upgrade, not had to upgrade. Either of them are more than capable and should do you well. I only mention these 2 because they are the only ones I've had hands on with. I'm sure there are some other quality bows out there in a similar price range but I don't think you'd go wrong with either of these. Hope it helps.

Also, both with reach your draw length and hit the 70lb draw weight you are looking for no problem.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  6. Hemimonstew

Hemimonstew Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I ended up getting the stinger x. i got a good deal I couldn't pass up. eBay has a seller selling brand new bare bows for 279.00 shipped and I already had accessories from
    My old bow so it worked out. IMG_2868.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums