So Nooby

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Crazy8, Nov 15, 2016.

1. Crazy8

Crazy8 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Man, I got questions, but I will try not to go overboard here. I have been a hunter for many years (rifle and shotgun) and for the last couple years, I have really wanted to get into bow hunting. Right now I am looking at 2 different Bear Archery bows. One is the Cruzer, and the other is the Attitude. I'm not sure what the difference is, but I may just need to go to the website and actually compare them side by side.

Here are my more important questions:
    1. When looking for a bow (which I plan to use for deer hunting) what do I need to be looking for, or what things do I need to consider?

2. If I were to buy a 70# bow, and lets just say I wanted to lessen that, is it easy enough to do that? Would I need to bring it in to have that done?

3. Any words of wisdom for a noob to get started on the right track? :)

2. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Figure out your price range, find some archery shops and go shoot some. Any good shop should have an assortment of bows where you can shoot them at different weights to see what you like.

3. The Old Man

The Old Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good advice from remmett70. I'll only add $.02. Just starting out you don't have to commit yourself to 70#. Start shooting at a comfortable weight for you. If it isn't comfortable you won't enjoy it as much or shoot as much and you won't develop proper form and confidence. I've never shot anything over 65# and shot bows at 50# for many years and have never had problems putting down any deer. There's nothing wrong with a 70# draw weight. Just don't over extend yourself in the beginning.

4. Arkyinks

Arkyinks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Bear Attitude and it is a fine shooting bow. It's adjustment is easy but limited in poundage. (Like 60 to 70 or 50 to 60) it may have changed in the few years I have owned mine. Draw length and stop is easy to set with lots of settings. I bought the Attitude because it came left handed and long enough draw for me. If you are just starting out get a whisker biscuit rest it will help simplify things.
    Go draw a few bows back and see what draw weight is best for you. A lighter draw weight may make you a better shooter and that is more important than speed or power. Just holding one style over another may feel better in your hand.
    Find out how to bareshaft tune and cut on contact broadheads work great. Come down to Kansas and I will help set you up.