Riser Slap

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by DJMP, Jan 16, 2016.

1. DJMP

DJMP Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hello everyone! I'm relatively new to archery. Typical shot-at-camp-but-now-getting-serious. I eventually want to get to the point where I can hunt with my friends. Right now I have a beginner compound, single cam, shooting targets (right hand). I recently found a damaged vane on one of my arrows, and noticed several others are marked. After some diggin I found they were hitting the riser. My biscuit seems to be set up pretty well for center shot, but looks like it puts the arrows to close to the riser. I can move the biscuit out a little but then the arrow sticks out/points to the left. I know I could take it to a bow shop, but I would rather learn to do it. All the videos and reading ive done address one way or the other, but not the balance. Anyo e else experience this and have any ideas?

Thanx in advance!

2. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Take it to a shop and have them show you what is not right with it, this way you will have learned something that may help you down the road.

3. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Out of curiosity how far, measured is the rises to the center of arrow when it's on the rest?

4. happyhunter

happyhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What bow is it? I can't imagine any bow without clearance for the vanes. Are you shooting fingers, or a release? Last question, does the string slap your arm?

5. DJMP

DJMP Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanx for the replies. Its a Genesis bow. Good point, I should take it to the shop and have them show me rather than just fix it for me. I guess im stuck in that place between not wanting to put a lot of money into such a basic (and limited from what ive heard and read) bow, and saving for a better one. But at this point, if it keeps ripping fletches and I dont fix it, it gets expensive anyway.

From riser edge to center of arrow is 9/16" when on the rest. Im shooting fingers but paying attention that I dont pluck on release. String doesnt hit my arm. Im taking care not to choke the grip or torque the bow. Maybe my form is in need of adjustment, but it appears as if the rest is too close. However if I move the rest out, it angles the arrow left.

Anything i may have overlooked that i can check before i get to the shop?

6. DJMP

DJMP Newb

Dislikes Received:
  7. DJMP

DJMP Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Arrowrest.jpg

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  8. DJMP

DJMP Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanx for the replies. Its a Genesis bow. Good point, I should take it to the shop and have them show me rather than just fix it for me. I guess im stuck in that place between not wanting to put a lot of money into such a basic (and limited from what ive heard and read) bow, and saving for a better one. But at this point, if it keeps ripping fletches and I dont fix it, it gets expensive anyway.

From riser edge to center of arrow is 9/16" when on the rest. Im shooting fingers but paying attention that I dont pluck on release. String doesnt hit my arm. Im taking care not to choke the grip or torque the bow. Maybe my form is in need of adjustment, but it appears as if the rest is too close. However if I move the rest out, it angles the arrow left.

Anything i may have overlooked that i can check before i get to the shop?

9. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    9/16 does give you much clearance at all assuming your enter shot is correct. There are several vanes that come in over .5 high ( blazers are .55 for example) so your really close and when you couple that with a finger release which will always induce torque you have the reason for your vane contact.
    You have a few easy fixes. The first is going a mechanical release, couple that with a slight center shot adjustment ( 1/16 ) and you should get the clearance you need.
    If your set on shooting fingers then you really should be using a differ arrow rest something provides more side support for the arrow and you probably should switch over to feathers while you at it.

10. happyhunter

happyhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As said previously, 9/16" is not much room. Are you sure your center shot is correct? Do a walk back tune to verify. Switching to a quality release will not only help this issue, but your shooting will improve as well. If you're dead set on the biscuit, then switch to 5" feathers. Feathers perform better than vanes with a biscuit. If you're dead set on shooting fingers, then a rest like the NAP plunger will do better than the biscuit. Experiment, and have fun.

11. DJMP

DJMP Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanx for the suggestions, definately gave me some homework to do. Looks like ill be going to the shop for a little research. I checked the center shot with the band and wrenches-in-the-riser-bolts method, and it was a close as it can be as you can see in the pics. But as was said, 9/16 is not a whole lotta room. NOW, interestingly, the arrows that came with the bow have Knox that were not secure, so I can turn them to how I want. I turned them so that the odd vane was away from the bow and the other two were parallel with the riser. And whaddya know. No change in form but all 9s and 10s. No bulls-eyes yet, but grouping consistent. Weird, because what ive always read and heard was that the odd vane should be up. The aftermarket arrows I got seemed to support this because the nocks are glued in to where the odd vane is pointed just about 90 degrees up when nocked. Hunh?

12. lgreenslade3

lgreenslade3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would just take it to your bow shop, it should be an easy fix and shouldn't cost you anything. Ask them what they did to correct it and if it happens again, you'll know how to do it

13. DJMP

DJMP Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Problem solved

First, let me say, YOU GUYS ROCK, thanks for all the helpful tips and suggestions! It's rare to be a newcomer to a forum and find patient people that are helpful and don't talk at you with all kinds of terms that a beginner might not know or understand yet. Or worse, give the brush off and just spout off some cookie cutter response with no real info, so THANK YOU!

In that spirit, I just got some interesting info back from the production manager at the company, hopefully this info can help any fellow beginners that have this issue.

Turns out, the solution is, there isn't really a solution except trial and error. I was advised that bow was designed to be shot with fingers and with the included flipper style rest. The rest is the biggest issue, in that using any other type will result in the issue I'm having. My center shot appears to be just fine, it's just that because of the design of the bow, the arrows are going to be close anyway. Apparently turning the arrow like I described in the last post is not uncommon with this bow. He said I can also try lighter spine arrows to try to get them to flex around the riser, and try arrows with lower profile vanes. So looks like I was on the right track trying the things I was, but without the info he gave me, I'd never know. I'm still going to go with you guys' suggestion and see what a shop can recommend. Hopefully that will get me by until I get a more advanced bow.

Thanks again for all the help!