NEED ADVICE ASAP!! Please and thank you

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Mattduncan1990, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Mattduncan1990

Mattduncan1990 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hi all

Very 1st time holding a bow etc wanting to hunt

To start out i went into a shop and the guy has suggested a redzone assassin package even after i enquired about the bear etc he pushed me into the redzone

Everyone has different opinions. Need to know.... Have i just wasted my money?

As i said this is my absolute 1st time with anything to do with bows/hunting/archery etc i know i will probably need an upgrade once i start hunting but am i already fighting a losing battle??

2. Clem

Clem Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Don't worry just about every major bow manufacturer out there is able to get you started with a bow that will get you in with the basics, that said I have not heard of redzone. I googled Red zone and found a bunch of references all in Australia so it might be a brand down there that most guys on here would not have heard of, I'm a displaced Aussie living in the US but I never bow hunted when I was in Australia, I can't give you specific advice on the brand.

If you have your bow your first job is to practice practice practice. And for that you will need a bow without to much weight (draw weight) to it and some coaching. So going to a pro shop to buy your bow where they can help you with the inevitable dumb questions you will have and guide you is the best thing you can do. The finer points of archery equipment effect things mainly to do with speed and personal preference and things that can make you a better archer however these finer points don't impact the basic of getting your arrows to group.

I have only been shooting for two years my first bow was 20+ years old and its draw length was 1" too long for me but I took three deer this year with that bow, remembers white tail deer out here are like roos at home they are eveywhere. The first thing I did was put a good rest and a great sight on the bow and shot it until it nearly fell apart. Aside from the draw length being too long, being very inefficient Ie for the draw weight the arrow speed was not great and it was noisy the bow was a able to throw arrows that grouped so I was happy.

I just upgraded from my free 20+ year old bow to a Matthews halon, now it is fast, quite, the correct draw length and sexy but it has only changed my group size from 2" at 20 yards down to about 1.5" -1.25" at 20 yards.

The moral of the story love the bow you have, practice with it every day, 100 times a day and you will kill deer or pigs.

If you have not checked out Severn River Park up in the Glen Innes area once you have figured out the sharp end from the blunt end you will have to check them out.

Clem

3. Mattduncan1990

Mattduncan1990 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks heaps mate.

To me it feels easy to hold needs 2 hex keys and can change from 15-70 pound came with full brush rest 5 pin sight etc

Congrats on the 3 deer, hopefully i get that chance one day

4. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the addiction by the way.

5. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congratulations on your first bow! You're going to wish you had bought it sooner.

Don't worry. Very few people use their first bow for more than a few seasons. The bow your have will serve its purpose well as long as its sized right for you.

My first bow was a Bear that was brand new but approximately 30 years old. Someone found in in the back of their closet and sold it to me via ebay for $50. It was really slow and outdated but I practiced daily and was able to kill a deer with it that fall. As soon as I knew that this bowhunting thing was something that I wanted to continue, I upgraded to a more modern style and faster bow.

If you are worried about the quality of you bow (I don't think you need to be) consider this; If you can make a poor bow shoot well then when you upgrade you will be able to make a good bow shoot great.

6. Mattduncan1990

Mattduncan1990 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you everyone, have put alot of nerves to rest

Cant wait to get into my first hunt, got alot of target shooting ahead of me first :)

May your arrows fly staight and your kill come fast and quiet

7. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What do you plan to hunt down there?

8. Mattduncan1990

Mattduncan1990 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hoping to get some pigs, deer, wild goat and maybe some foxes as ive heard they are a challenge

9. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats! It is an awesome experience!