intro and new bow advice

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by WhiteMike, Aug 13, 2016.

1. WhiteMike

WhiteMike Newb

Dislikes Received:
    new member here. I live in the northern panhandle of Idaho and am not new to hunting but I have never bow hunted. I just bought a house on a nice chunk of land and have seen 4 different bucks and 2 spike elk, also a handful of turkeys and some coyotes. threw a trail cam, mineral lick and a stand out back to keep the white tail around. I started thinking I dont want to shoot my 7mm magnum on my poperty, id like to get a bow to keep it quiet and keep the wildlife hanging around. being a beginner i figured id go cheap and buy a package. i narrowed it down to the diamond infinite edge pro package based on reviews but alot of people said the accessories in the package are cheap and they replaced them, and it also seemed like a bow more geared towards kids. i didnt want to break the bank and buy a super nice bow since i have no experience but now im thinking i should just buy nice and not buy twice. Id like to get something ill be happy with and able to use for a long time that would also be able to down an elk with ease. Something that i can take to the mountains with an archery tag and not just drop white tail and turkeys in my yard. I would still like to keep it in total under 600$ for everything id need. Looking for some recommendations as i have no idea where to start. Thanks!:rock:

also I'm 6'0 200 lbs if that makes a difference

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
  2. abates352

abates352 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I always encourage new archers to start with decent equipment, but no reason to spend money on something you don't like. I think the most important is going to a reputable dealer and have them set you up with a bow that FITS you. If they have several try the ones in your price range and let the bow pick you.

3. abates352

abates352 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Dealers may have some good used bows, or even a clearance model from last year.

4. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Due to its adjustments the Diamond infinity edge is a great starter bow. You have a wide range of draw weight and draw length that it can be set too. The most important thing is that the bow fits you properly. Archery is about consistency and you will be more consistent if it fits you. Also it doesn't make sense to drop a grand on a setup if you later decided it not for you. I think if you are able to hunt this year and you have some close encounters you will be hooked but its not for everybody.

If you have a dealer near by call them and tell them your price range and see what they recommend.

Now I will say this though ask questions here and don't explicitly trust the dealer. Some are great but some are just looking to make a buck. Its a coin toss at times. Either way good luck and I hope you stick around.

As far as the accessories give them a try. They are mostly plastic but will give you a chance to the feel for things. You can always upgrade them over time and make due with what you have for short term.

5. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A good dealer is the place to start.
    I can assume your draw length and what poundage to shoot but you know how assume breaks down..............

to assume makes an a** out of u and me!

6. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ^THIS^ Find a good dealer.

7. WhiteMike

WhiteMike Newb

Dislikes Received:
    i shot a couple bowtech bows and a pse at cabelas. They had the bear threat package for 600 it was more than I wanted to spend but after I shot it I knew it was the right bow. The others didn't even compare to the feel of this one. I ended up getting it for 500 because of discounts and coupons and all the accessories seem pretty nice compared to the other packages. I'm sure I'll upgrade eventually because it's fun to do that stuff. Got a nice little target set up out back and last night the first buck came into my trail cam that I just set up. Looking forward to sticking around the forums and learning from you guys.
    ! 08140007.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
Tags: