Impact points from tree stand compared to ground at same distance

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Trator17, Dec 10, 2016.

1. Trator17

Trator17 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Is there really any difference when shooting at say 20 yards out of a tree stand with a bow that's sighted in at 20 yards at ground level?
    I'm confused on this topic as I'm fairly new to bow hunting but have shot bows the past 3 years or so but just now getting to actually hunt deer/turkey instead of hunting targets
    Any advice is appreciated on adjustable yardage pendulum sights like the Truglo pendulum
    TIA

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

2. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, there is a difference How big of a difference in aim point depends on your set up, arrow speed, and experience. The key is to not simply lower your bow arm. Bend from your waist and lean downward, keeping the bow arm straight and in a straight line with your release hand. The closer the shot is, the more you will have to bend at the waist to lean down. Simply owering your bow hand will mess up your form and ruin your accuracy.

Instead of using a pendulum sight, learn to shoot properly from elevation. You will be more accurate.

3. SkyThumper

SkyThumper Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt from a tree so I site my bow in from an elevated position at set yardages and not from the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

4. Bowman_08

Bowman_08 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Another thing that will help is a range finder that calculates angle in with the shot they help out a lot depending on how high you are in the tree lets just say your 20 feet in a tree shooting 20 yards would be more close to shooting on the ground at 15 yards that also depends on how fast your bow is how heavy your arrows are in how fast it drops

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums