Hoyt vs Quest

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by ClanMcKenzie, Oct 31, 2016.

1. ClanMcKenzie

ClanMcKenzie Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Does anyone in here have any personal experience with the Quest Amp? I'm trying to decide between the Amp and the Hoyt Powermax. Love the specs on the Quest. I've shot the Powermax and loved it, but also like the speed rating on the Quest. Any insight will be helpful.

Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2. BowCommander

BowCommander Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Never shot Quest before, but I've been a Hoyt shooter for many years and love them.

As far as speed goes, you won't be shooting at high as the IBO rating after your setup.

Just FTR though, Hoyt does have bows that shoot the same speed as the Quest, if it is speed you're looking for.

3. ClanMcKenzie

ClanMcKenzie Newb

Dislikes Received:
    My concern is that I plan on shooting a really heavy arrow (600-650) and thought I should try to get some thing fast because I'll be losing a lot speed with the heavy arrow. The Hoyt really impressed me.

4. ClanMcKenzie

ClanMcKenzie Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm also trying to stay below the $1,000 mark. Otherwise I'd be all over the Defiant Series.

5. BowCommander

BowCommander Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    PSE has some fast bows for under $1,000 also.

Any reason for the desire to shoot such a high arrow grain?

Kinetic energy is important here, but I'd imagine you can go too high and actually lose KE.

Formula for KE (which is penetration) is speed*speed*arrow weight / 450240.

So let's say you shoot a bow getting 302 fps and using a 402 grain arrow = 81 ft/lbs of KE.

Now using that same bow, you're lose about 1 fps per every 2 grains of arrow weight, so at a 602 grain arrow you'd be getting about 202 fps.

202*202*602 / 450240 = 54.5 ft/lbs of KE.

So in the end, you'd be better off using a lighter arrow for better penetration. Not to go too light, but I'd imagine about 5.5-6 grains per pound of draw weight should be the best fit.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  6. ClanMcKenzie

ClanMcKenzie Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've been drawn to the Grizzly Stik arrows and broadheads. They are just devastating through bone. 600 - 650 total. I'm still doing some research. But I appreciate the KE breakdown.