How do you shop for arrow weight?

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by dannyj, Feb 5, 2017.

1. dannyj

dannyj Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I read on another post that at around 55-60 lb draw weight you should have 350 grain arrows. Are the arrow weights on the boxes?

2. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There is wY more to arrow selection then just draw weight and arrow weight . But yes the GPI, and spine among other thing should be on the box.

3. Arkyinks

Arkyinks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Also the weight is often on the shaft. Spine will also depend on length and point weight. So a shaft might be 400 8.4gpi. The total weight will be the weight of the shaft, knock and insert and point. So that shaft 28 inches long would weigh 232 gr + 50 gr insert + 30 gr lighted knock + 100 gr point = 412 gr. That's how it's done. Buy a scale and life will be easier.

4. Captn Kirk

Captn Kirk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I look for the lowest GPI grains per inch shaft then as said the length of the arrow and pull poundage of the bow will set the spine. I add weight with the broad head and inserts to get to the best FOC I can get for the targeted overall arrow weight. I shoot a Easton Hexx 330 spine at 28 in /70lbs at 6 grains per pound I add 100 grain head and a 50 grain insert with a lighted knock I am at 420 grain over all arrow weight. IMHO that is the sweet spot for mass and kinetic energy. QDMA has some good articles as well as Hunters Freind under arrow :thewave: