First bow

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Bee, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Bee

Bee Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hello, I just got my first bow and have been practicing for about 2 weeks. The other day after I had shot 6 arrows my shoulder starting hurting so bad I couldn't hold my bow up anymore. It hurts on top of my shoulder and down into the top of the shoulder blade. The next day the pain was gone and I could move my arm around but I'm scared to shoot my bow right now. Has anyone had this problem and what do I need to do. I shoot a Pse and it is set on 55 lbs. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Careful with your shoulders. Damaging them does not heal very easily. Check out the video below and build up your scapula muscles. And turn the bow weight down on bow your bow.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=piFvGEL-md0

Kilboars Hunt Club

3. A5BLASTER

A5BLASTER Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had that problem men self for a lil bit. I'm shooting a 2013 pse and what I figured out was the reason for my pain was poor shooting fourm, meaning not locking my should in a lowered position and not being use to pulling the weight of the bow.

Google proper bow form and practice getting your shoulder down and locked bone to bone, also find a good pro shop to start buisness with and get measured for draw length. Could be your draw length is off just a lil bit, also have a pro make sure the bow is in tune.

I use star gun and pawn in leesville, guy that runs the shops name is Luke he is a stand up dude and knows his stuff, has really helped me out alot.

Hope this info helps sir, I'm a new guy to bow hunting myself.

4. Bee

Bee Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the info. We have man cave archery right down the road and they set my draw and tuned the bow when I bought it. So it must be my form, I will work on it. How long should I wait before shooting my bow again? Thanks again

5. A5BLASTER

A5BLASTER Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I can't give a answer on how long you should wait to shoot again since the pain quit in your shoulder.

I just keep shooting every day working on my form. When it would get to hurting to bad to shoot at twenty yards I would stop until later that day and then start up again. After bout a week it just went away. I set a goal of 200 arrows a day and even now after six months of practice when I have the time to devote i still shoot 200 plus shots a day.

I try not to go less then 50 shots a day, the more you practice the quicker your skill sets will develop, this is a idea I brought with me from long range rifle shooting.

If anything is missed spelt its cause my phone, hope this info helps sir,

6. Bee

Bee Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks again for the info.

7. Arkyinks

Arkyinks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    "No pain - No gain! " does not really apply to archery. First have your draw length rechecked... over drawing, or not enough will cause a strain. Over do it and tear something and you will be done before you get started. Just do a few shots a day and work up.