draw weight???? and using mechanical broadheads

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by hackattack, Dec 11, 2016.

1. hackattack

hackattack Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am using a 2015 hoyt charger with 50-60 limbs. Is 60 pounds enough weight to use a mechanical broadhead?
    I would like to use swhacker and or Grim reapers, have had great luck with both using my crossbow.
    look forward to hearing what you guys have to say!

2. J.H.

J.H. Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think 60 is ok for those but 50 might be questionable.

3. A5BLASTER

A5BLASTER Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't done any research on this question but when I got my bow in September my freind I got the bow from had it maxed out at 60 pounds and he gave me some swacker 100 grains and said if I wanted to use them I would have to leave the bow set at 60 are they wouldn't work.

I throw them in the trash can and went with montecs, my freind has been bowhunting his whole life so I took what he said too be true.

4. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There is not enough info here; how much do your arrows weigh? I shoot the 2015 Charger at 67lbs. Personally, I do not care for mechanical broad heads. I shoot Slick Trick mags and my arrows weigh 425 grains. I used to shoot mechanicals out of my old bow at 55lbs and failed to get deployment from some mechanical broadheads at 425 grains. Personally, I would not consider mechanical heads at less than 60 lbs and less than 450 grains of arrow weight.

5. Bowhunter728

Bowhunter728 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You could always go for low KE mechanical broadheads if you are absolutely set on mechanical.

Tribeck likes this.
  6. hackattack

hackattack Newb

Dislikes Received:
    arrows are a to be determined. depending on what I put up front for next season, But I really like the gold tip xt hunters and from what i am seeing here I need around a 400grain arrow? 400 is what it is sighted in for at the moment! thanks guys.

7. primetime_Deion

primetime_Deion Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use NAP spitfire maxx's at 50 pounds with my Mission Ballistic and have killed all 3 bucks I've shot with those broadheads. Blood trail is insane too, no deer went further than 90 yards.

8. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'd have to say that 60lbs is probably the most popular weight being pulled.
    Now let's say that half of the bowhunters use fixed the other half uses mechanical.
    That would make for a large sampling group.
    If there was a huge problem with that combo you would hear about it from the mountain tops.
    And just so there's no confusion, I don't shoot mechanicals for different reasons.

9. Rob Nicholson

Rob Nicholson Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My local pro shop told me not to shoot mechanicals with a bow under 62lbs. My pro shop set me up at 55lbs with a 400 grain arrow and fixed 100 grain montec.

10. hackattack

hackattack Newb

Dislikes Received:
    awesome thanks! that helps, I have been looking at nap lately.

11. Bowman_08

Bowman_08 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you want mechanicals I would go with muzzy t3 they only need 3lb of Kinetic energy to open them they leave a nice blood trail too they are a 3 blade they slide straight back they are a good broad head and they fly the same as your field points

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

12. Driftfisher

Driftfisher Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Why don't you contact customer service at the broad head manufacturers and ask what the the minimum velocity is with your arrow weight..I'm certain you'll hear a response within 3 business days

Tribeck likes this.