City limit deer woods.

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Beau-crossman, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Beau-crossman

Beau-crossman Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have found a piece of property in the heart of city limits full of whitetail bucks (rubs and scrapes every which way). Its about 60 acres of thickets and right next to a high traffic jogging/biking trail and also backs up to a suburban neighborhood. What would be the regulations on sneaking in there with a treestand, trailcam, and my 65lb hoyt to arrow a buck? Once you get beyond 30 yards from the jogging/biking trail you're well hidden from any passerby. Maybe something like this posted but I would like personal opinions.

2. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Trespassing?

3. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Depends on local laws. I would check first. Not worth losing your privileges. Also fines and just the embarrassment of being busted.

4. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like where my uncle hunts, he sees people jogging and walking dogs all the time. I think you're ok with a bow in there. Somebody might give you a hard time if they see you gutting a deer on the jogging trail. If it's not posted or find out who exactly own it you should be in good shape. Most people who live in that environment don't like deer they come in and eat there flowers and trash there gardens.

5. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What Shock said, Check your local laws first to see if Bow hunting is permitted within City Limits and if its allowed in that area.
    If it's not allowed on public property ask if its allowed on Private property within city limits. You might be able to gain permission from private land owners in the Subdivision if it's legal.

6. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We have areas just like this in our area. They are put in a drawing for a managed hunt. The county/city owns the ground around most of our trails. Around here you can go to a County GIS map to see who owns the ground. That would be a good place to start to stay out of trouble.

7. Jeffrey Jones

Jeffrey Jones Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My city will let u hunt in town as long as u have written permission and if it's with a bow check your regulations speak with a city official or game warden they will know if u can or can not good luck I've taken and seen some great animals harvested this way.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

8. sethf11

sethf11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Be very careful. I have a piece of land that is like 200 acres just down the road from me and another 40 out behind me as well as like 500 across from my neighborhood that is deer heaven!!

Loaded with deer but it is all property that you can't touch. It's a watershed property. Not even supposed to walk or hike or bike on it but people do. If you get caught hunting in there it would be bad bad news. Not worth it. But oh so tempting!!

Check into the property real well. I'm sure there is a reason nobody hunts it already. Also, how will you get a deer out is that area if you harvest one?

9. TomTom1

TomTom1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Check your laws , most cities has city ordinance on shooting any firearms including bows.

10. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The municipality I live in has a big chunk of land. It can be bowhunted and shotgun hunted as long as it is cleared through the municipality. It just isn't opened to anybody.

11. Hoytxhunter

Hoytxhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the site.