Arrow weight

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by kin0138, Apr 3, 2016.

1. kin0138

kin0138 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm really new to archery and not to sure if my arrow weight is good enough and how to figure out a all round good arrow weight. Currently Iam shooting 60lb draw weight and my current arrow with broad head and all is 422 . Not sure if this is light or on the heavy side or something I should even be shooting. I use my bow for target practice and elk and deer just not sure if this is a good set up or not. Any help or information on how to figure this out would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  2. Govtrapper

Govtrapper Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm shooting 60#s as well right now. An my arrow weight is 450- 475. I like it a lil heavy. An so far I haven't had any trouble with getting complete pass thrus with everything.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

3. ybohunt

ybohunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    IMO that's slightly on the heavy side but I would rather have a heavy arrow than a light arrow.
    For what it's worth I am shooting about 58 and my arrows weigh about 385.

4. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The discussion on arrow weight is never ending. Much like the fixed vs mechanical broadheads and single pin vs fixed pins on sights.

Fact is, either your arrow is effective or it isn't and the range for effectiveness is quite wide.

At 60 pounds, the effective range probably begins at 300 grains (5 grains per # of draw). Don't expect to get much bone breaking power from that light of an arrow but it would be effective on a well placed shot. I personally wouldn't go any lower than 6 grains per pound of draw or 360 grains.

I currently shoot a 420ish grain arrow with a 65 pound draw weight but the deer I took last fall was with a 380 grain arrow at 60 pounds draw weight.

The archery calculator here:
    ArcheryCalc | Backcountry Bowhunting

Will tell you what you can hunt with your current setup.

5. Captn Kirk

Captn Kirk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    a good read and information go to hunters friend and they have a section called arrow university under order help another good read is on QDMA Momentum Beats Speed for Lethal Arrow Hits | Quality Deer Management Association this should help you ansewer the questions needed to give you the correct advise