Arrow help and recommendations

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Ivo12, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Ivo12

Ivo12 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hello ,
    I'm pretty new to bow hunting. And I wanted to get a new set of arrows for next season. Wanted to get some recommendations and help with what to get. I currently shoot a bear attitude bow with a 31.5 inch draw length and 62 lbs draw weight. I shoot 100 grain broad heads and i currently shoot cabelas carbon hunter 55/70. I believe the guy at cabelas told me I didn't need to cut my arrows because of my long draw length. They are 32 inches long and shoot pretty well. On the chart at the bottom of the link, it does not have a measurement for 32 inch arrow and my draw weight. I just wanted to make sure I was shooting the correct arrows. Any recommendations ? Also, how do I know how many "grains" my arrow is ?

Cabela's Online Store - Quality Hunting, Fishing, Camping and Outdoor Gear

2. WELDO

WELDO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I did a little digging for ya! Your arrows weigh 8.4 grains per inch! I'm going to guess the vanes weigh about 6 grains each and then you have nock, insert and broad head to add. I have never shot the carbon hunter so my opinion is mute however the problem I see with them as a choice for me is there straightness is only .006 thousands! That's more than I like and prefer an arrow straightness of .002/.003 ! As far as length of arrow I suggest drawing your bow in a safe direction and have a friend mark where the arrow sits on the rest! Then add 1 inch or so to that and that will give you your correct arrow length give or take ! Good luck and good shooting

3. TKP030

TKP030 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a similar setup 31" in draw 62lb draw weight and I shoot a 30" Easton FMJ deep six arrow with a 100 grain head but the insert adds around 15 grains I believe. They are on the heavier side 11 gpi. They sure do pack a punch though 490 grains at 290fps. Shot a 6 year old buck at 50 yards and literally turned the exit leg about 2in below the shoulder to dust looked like you hit it with a hammer

4. Rangerdan

Rangerdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Really depends on your budget and your personal preference.
    If you want speed or kinetic energy, or the best of both worlds. There really are so many options out there nowadays for arrows, its hard to go wrong. However, I do agree with WELDO regarding straightness. I do prefer a stiffer arrow.
    I have been shooting carbon express for a long time and have had great success with the Blu RZ's and the Maxima reds, however if you are willing to up your poundage to 65 or more, you might find the slightly heavier Deep six Easton's a very reliable, durable and straight flying arrow. You will be sacrificing some speed with the FMJ's or carbon injections being around 450-500 grains depending on the length of your arrow, but they hit hard and produce staggering KE transfer. Eastons HEXX arrows are a great in between, a little lighter and still a very stiff, straight arrow. Good luck with your choices.

5. Ivo12

Ivo12 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you for the response guys. I looked into the hexx and deep six and maxima but I can't seem to find which one would match my set up. For the Easton arrows there is no arrow shown in the chart they provide for a 32 inch arrow and my 62-65 lb draw weight? How would I know which size would be best for my set up? Or does it not matter if I pick a maxima 350 or 450, etc. ?

6. Ivo12

Ivo12 Newb

Dislikes Received:
  7. TKP030

TKP030 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i shoot 330 deep six fmj which would probably work for you since your arrow is usually an inch shorter than you draw but if you dont feel comfortable using the 330 i know that they just came out with a 280 spine which would definitely meet your specs

8. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    How tall are you? I'm guessing around 6' 6". Am i close?

Anyway, you can shoot an arrow equal to or even a little less than your draw length because the arrow rest sets at the back side of the riser while draw length is measured to the front side of the riser. I know guys that shoot arrows a full two inches shorter than their draw length. I shoot an arrow equal to my draw.

The draw length plus one inch for arrows is more relevant to traditional equipment than it is to compound.

9. Ivo12

Ivo12 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am 6'ft 5. Ok I will look into 31 inch arrows. I will be hunting from a tree stand in the Midwest. The farthest shot I can take from my stand is about 40 yards. So I'm thinking a heavier arrow with higher KE but still fairly quick. Also does arrow stiffness (.002) help with grouping and speed?

10. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You won't see much, if any, difference between the .002 or the. 006 arrows at 40 yards. Your shooting form is far more important than the arrows at normal hunting distance.

My opinion is that it isn't enough difference to justify the extra cost anyway. I've always opted to go for the .006 arrows. Easton Powerflights and after they were discontinued I switched to Beman ICS Hunters. They are the same shaft with a different label on it.

The decimal numbers you asked about is the straightness tolerance number. The stiffness number is called spine and is usually found as 340, 400, and 500. At a 65# draw weight and a 31 inch long arrow you will need a 340.

11. WELDO

WELDO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's not true ! But do what you feel works for ya :-)