Gear, Clothing and Equipment

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by troutbum1971, Dec 11, 2016.

1. troutbum1971

troutbum1971 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Very new to bow hunting. I know I'm going to enjoy it though. I'm a fly fisherman and avid outdoorsman. I just bought a RTH Bear Traxx. What else are must haves? I have plenty of time to acquire a good starter kit, as it going to take me a while to hit paper let alone a deer, turkey or pig. Thanks in advance.

2. J.H.

J.H. Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    sounds like all you need for now is a target and a backstop. start shooting.

3. primetime_Deion

primetime_Deion Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well if you didn't get the complete bow package, get yourself a stabilizer, sight, rest, and some arrows with field point tips for target shooting. I like carbon express arrows, limbsaver or trophy ridge stabilizers, and got a single pin HHA sight, with a NAP apache drop away rest. Do some research, make sure you get the arrows cut to the right length and have the right diameter for your poundage and draw length and you should be set. I use ScentLok full season pant and jacket of Mossy Oak Breakup Infinity. Every person has their own setup they like and kill deer after deer or whatever they're hunting with what they got.

4. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    After a complete bow setup there isn't much that you need.
    You said you spend alot of time outdoors so you probably has some keep warm gear.
    But if you plan on get up in a tree now is going to be a good time to find one pretty cheap.
    You may also want to invest in a harness besides the one that comes with the stand.
    I like the muddy Magnum, $70-40 depends on the sale. No metal to metal contact, comfortable and extremely light.
    Alot of people find the supplied harness confusing and cumbersome.
    This would allow you to practice hanging a stand and get comfortable in it while transferring and shooting.
    The best advice I could give a new deer hunter is to not buy any calls.
    I know that myself and many others probably did more harm than good with calls early on.

5. troutbum1971

troutbum1971 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I ordered a complete, ready to hunt bow. I do have cold weather clothes. I just ordered a range finder also.

I need to to add camo outer wear and broad heads, for now.

6. xxanxx

xxanxx Newb

Dislikes Received:
    ^^What kind of bow?

7. sammartin

sammartin Newb

Dislikes Received:
    You can find some hunting supplies at Bass and Bucks. Maybe you can get some flash lights, hunting blinds, food plots and so on.