The age old bow question

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by IowaTreeHunter, Dec 6, 2016.

1. IowaTreeHunter

IowaTreeHunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hello there new member here, also new to bowhunting me and the girlfriend have been all over our local area and more visiting pro shops to test out bows, She has hers picked out. I have not had such luck in finding one for me.

I have a 29.5 draw length and comfortable # anywhere from 50 to 65

I've shot a PSE Stinger X, bear wild, bear cruzer, and a mission craze 2. I'm personally leaning towards the mission bow because it was the smoothest of all of them and felt the most comfortable to me but reading about it being more of a youth bow kind makes me feel maybe it's not the bow I need?

I was just wondering if anyone had personal inputs about the bows that they could share with me. I appreciate any and all help.

2. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Bows like that are labeled "youth" simply because of their wide adjustment range. Making them ideal for the growing archer.

This same thing makes them ideal for the adult who is new to the sport. You can start at 45 or 50 pounds, develop good form, avoid bad habits that come from shooting too much draw weight and work all the way up to 60 or 70.

If you like how the bow feels, go for it. Don't let the youth label stop you. There is nothing youth about a bow that is capable of drawing 70 pounds at 30 inches when set at its maximum settings.

Sent from my VS500 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

3. IowaTreeHunter

IowaTreeHunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the response. I have to say everyone that I have encountered while going through this process has been extremely friendly and helpful definitely a good feeling getting into something new.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

4. kennys40acres

kennys40acres Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome IowaTreeHunter(s)! I'm a new member too, but I've been bow hunting nearly 30 years. When you find a bow you like & you shoot it well, don't worry about what others say about it. I love my mission craze & I love that I didn't spend $$$$. They say its a kids bow because kids grow & the bow can grow with them, but its the same great technology of the "adult" Matthews bow with less machining of the riser. My friends never ask why I shoot a mission bow...they ask to come over for supper. Have fun shooting & you'll do more of it!

5. Bowhunter728

Bowhunter728 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    welcome aboard bud. first off i must say you have come to the right place for advice on anything bow hunting and related topics. These guys and gals have helped me out huge from time to time on a number of things. My piece of advice is pick one that you are the most comfortable with. When i picked my bow out i shot quiet a few before picking out my stinger x that i recently bought a few months ago. i have had no issues with the bow and i liked it the most out of the ones i shot ( i don't remember them all). I also bought my bow as a kit which included a ton of stuff including a cases and arrows. I got it on a good price (just under 600). i have recently changed to a 5 pin sight going to be putting a new stabilizer on it very soon and a new quiver. overall i am happy with my bow. Here we can only give you the advice, you have to take which one works for you, just because my pse works for me doesn't mean it will work for you. Good luck in your choice and keep us informed on which one you get.

6. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the forum. You are doing everything right so far. You have identified bows that are to your liking and in your budget. Now its time to go out and shoot them to see which one feels best. Feel is important because if it feel right its easier to consistently repeat. Any one of the bows you mentioned will do just fine. Good luck and enjoy.

7. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know where you're shopping for them at, but I would lean more towards the ones that you can get from your local pro shop.
    Service and support go along way, even more so if you're new to bows.
    I think most here wouldn't let bass pro or cabelas touch their bow unless it was absolutely necessary.

8. Bowhunter728

Bowhunter728 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    couldn't agree with you more on that one KjKlump. i have a fantastic shop i go to plus its small business. :nana:

9. IowaTreeHunter

IowaTreeHunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I definitely got the feeling while we were at bass pro that they didn't know what they were doing. The bow I am pretty set on is a small business pro shop. Hands down the most knowledgeable and most polite we have dealt with. Which I also think has had a slight effect on which bow I chose.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

10. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, I'm pretty lucky to have the shop I go to.
    Nobody deals with "Strother" anymore as they are now Moxie.
    But they're very similar to Obsession which he stocks.
    We've become friends with the owners and now go hunting,fishing, lake trips and even Christmas. Absolutely great people.