Hoosier National Forest

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by layneb2003, Oct 15, 2016.

1. layneb2003

layneb2003 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Ohio hunter wanting to do some public bow at hoosier any comments welcome

2. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Try to go early and scout. Indiana has a pretty high hunter per acre average so hoosier national can get pretty busy. It is very big though.

I've had good luck emailing the local DNR with your intentions and get some ideas.

3. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I know a lot of people that camp down there the day before so they can save their spot.

4. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Last week, I hiked back in the Charles C Deem part about 3.5 miles to a spot that looked like a possibility on the topo and aerial maps. I found some beds, game trails, and small rubs but didn't have time to thoroughly walk it (wife was with me). For some reason, in the Deem wilderness you can't use a game cart so that kind of limits things unless you bring your horse...yeah... they allow horses, but not a game cart. I've never hunted it, but am planning on going once a week to scout. I have private land to hunt so I'm not sure I'll even mess with it come deer season, but it is good excersise that keeps me interested. I thought maybe with the distance from any parking and not being able to use a cart, it might be a less pressured spot, but like I said, I didn't get to comb it very well