Just bought a bow

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by nightrider069, Oct 11, 2016.

1. nightrider069

nightrider069 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So I just bought a used Mathews Bow with everything and the right draw length. Will this be a good starter bow?? now I haven't been measured for arrows yet but either way I want to hunt deer, what kind of arrows should I buy. I plan on using 100 grain broad heads any ideas and advice would be great.

2. Blarney22

Blarney22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You may be better off just practicing this season if this is your first time bow hunting. It takes a lot of practice to be able to ethically take game with your bow. If you don't even have arrows yet you have a lot of catching up to do.

My advice, practice, practice, practice.

3. bow nut

bow nut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This^^^^^

4. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with the above. It's way more important to take your time, get proper arrows, and get comfortable with your chosen setup.

Practice as much as you possibly can especially from random distances from the target.

Go to 3D shoots next summer. They are invaluable practice.

The archery part is probably only 1/3 of bowhunting. The biggest challenge comes from learning to scout, pattern, and get close to the animals. It's a challenge that even long time gun hunters don't always understand.

You will find that by taking time to prepare properly, you will have much better "luck" when you hit the woods for real next fall.

Welcome to the addiction!

5. nightrider069

nightrider069 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with you and I will wait until I can shoot at different distances and able to keep good form and tight groping. I do gun hunt and I know there is a difference. there will be a learning curve with this.

6. Arkyinks

Arkyinks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What arrows will depend on draw weight and length. Just about any good brand of shaft will work. Just pick the one with the coolest graphics. Spine is most important. Spine weak / stiff will come as left / right on the target. I start with the shafts full length with some bare and some with fletching and see how they group. I shorten shafts 1/2 inch till left / right get close (1 inch - less) then 1/4 till they are vertical. Up / down is mostly nock, rest, cam timing and shaft weight and FOC.
    If you can get with another archer you can try different shafts because like me most who have done this for a while have all kinds of stuff laying around.

7. nightrider069

nightrider069 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Well I am going to get measured for arrows when I pick up the bow, I did not know how techinal this sport is. But I like that kind of stuff, I thing in the next few weeks I will be practiceing my form and mussle memory, and the proper hold. lost to learn. I will probley not hunt with it this year but everyone is different.

8. TomTom1

TomTom1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A great sport, but takes a lots of practice.

9. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congratulations! My best advice would be to take your bow to your nearest archery shop and have them help you out with choosing some arrows. There's more that goes into choosing arrows than you might think. I shoot Gold Tip but I've heard good things about Carbon Express and Easton too. Prices vary significantly too so I'd hate to see someone spend $200 on a dozen arrows when $100 or less would work just as well.

10. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I agree, Practice, Practice, Practice. Good to the archery shop and shoot a few different arrows and see which one you like best.

11. nightrider069

nightrider069 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Well I am picking up the bow tomorrow, so I hope he has arrows and field tips that fit the bow. and the practicing will start.

12. bow nut

bow nut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Isn't that exciting, like thinking about it all day exciting.

13. stince

stince Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Take your time - I started a few years back and I wanted to get right in mid-season archery.. I waited. I shot almost every day for 2 months and then I wore blaze and sat on private land in a blind for rifle deer...

Practice and perfect, then hunt and harvest, and finally, enjoy and eat.

14. nightrider069

nightrider069 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with you all I have been shooting everyday, and the groups are getting tighter and tighter and the whole draw and anchor are becoming more natural. A lot fun.. cant wait until I am ready to get out there