Getting daughter started

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by redbellybum, Sep 24, 2016.

1. redbellybum

redbellybum Newb

Dislikes Received:
    My six year old daughter has expressed interest in learning to shoot a bow. I'm new to bow hunting myself and am not really sure how to go about getting her started. Anybody got any tips on how to go about this? Recommendation on a bow for a six year old girl? Should I have her wait a few years before getting her a bow?

2. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Strike while the iron is hot. Go to your local bow shop and see what they have for children's bows. One of the favorite activities we did when our children were young was to shoot at balloons. Always fun and even a challenge for you if here is a good wind blowing.

3. redbellybum

redbellybum Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks elkguide that sounds like great advice

4. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Of course your daughter gets to shoot from 5-10 feet and you need to be at least 20 yards away
    to make the balloons a lot of fun and a challenge.

(but let your daughter move before you shoot! :o)

JP Thornsley likes this.
  5. tkaldahl2000

tkaldahl2000 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    One of the things that I did with my JOAD kids on the last night of our ten week sessions was to put about 2 tablespoons of flour into the balloons and then inflate them. It makes a real good puff when you shoot them. Do it outside though, cuz it makes an awful mess inside. I have seen a lot of kids that age with the Diamond Atomic. If she can handle a Genesis Mini that is not a bad way to go because they tend to hold their value pretty well. When I sold the Mini that I bought for my boys it went on EBay for about $20 less than what I paid for it.

6. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry for the late reply. My daughters started shooting when they were about 4.
    There is a pink bear brave bow that is compound style. It works really well for kids.
    Also, keep in mind drawing back the string, it can really hurt some fingers. I found a finger release at walmart on super clearance for a few bucks, works great. Kids still love to shoot and they're 8

7. Gator Dale

Gator Dale Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I started my son off on the diamond nuclar ice. I think the up dated one is the atomic but they are small and light and are highly adjustable as they grow. Joad or a group of guy to teach good habits are key. Have fun they progress quickly

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

8. JP Thornsley

JP Thornsley Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Great to start early. If u think about getting her a bow go local so your daughter can hold it and try a few shots before u buy it. The balloon shooting is a great way to entertain them while they're little.once they get good at 5-10ft. then go back to 10-15ft. and so on. One more thing, Patience is a virtue!

Sent from my KYOCERA-C6745 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

9. Arkyinks

Arkyinks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    There are several good little bows on the market now. They use the Genesis bows in school shoots. I had some good small aluminum shafts made after they got fairly good at hitting the target. Those arrows made a big difference in how well the bow shot.
    My kids invited their friends over for "range "day and my daughters were so proud to out shoot the boys. It has got to be fun!