New kid on the block got a toy!

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by stark19, Sep 23, 2016.

1. stark19

stark19 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys - just joined and figured I'd post an intro ;)

Just bought my first 'real' bow - PSE Bow Madness 34. I have the stubby arms in my fam, only shooting 30 inch draw, shop set it at almost to max and measured at 69 pounds. Got it from Jakes Archery in Orem, great shop!

Shot a little recurve here and there and played with an old compound I found at a garage sale, so with just a little help, was able to group within a few inches at 20 yards on my opening session with it.

First question of many to come, starting to set the sites up - I have a 5 pin. I'd love a few recommendations on what yardages you guys set the pins to?
    Not planning to hunt with it until next season, but have a year to play and practice. I will definitely get to practicing long range to take clean shots at the short range.

2. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    30 is a long draw and 69 lb is alot. To verify measure from finger tip to finger tip and divide by 2.5. besides that pins have many many different schools of thought. If you look around on here you can find many topics about them. I shoot single pin and make adjustments. Welcome to the site and passion. Please feel free to ask every question you have. We all started in your spot once.

3. stark19

stark19 Newb

Dislikes Received:

Thanks! Yes - we are a long armed family. 6'1 with 76 inch arm span, almost at 30.5. Could have gone either way they said. Brothers are 6'2 at 77.5-78" arm span.
    I have gathered that on the pins, just looking for a few ideas to consider as I started. I am sure eventually I'll figure out what I feel best with.

4. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the site. Lots of good info and knowledge here.

My 5 pin sights are sighted in at 20 - 30 - 40 - 50 & 60 yards. I've never even considered shooting an animal at over 40 yards but I practice to 60 all of the time, just in case. Shoot and shoot some more but don't shoot till you get sore. Keep it fun and get familiar with your equipment. If you have a good bow shop, ask them if they could give you a lesson or two to get you started with the correct form, grip and release. It's easier to start from a solid foundation than it is to fix one down the road.
    ENJOY!!!!!!

Tags: