Which bow

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by archerirl, Sep 15, 2016.

1. archerirl

archerirl Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hi, apologies for asking a question that has been asked probably a million times before but I am looking to get a bow, torn between compound and recurve but leaning more on the recurve.

I am looking for a good recurve bow that will be used quite a bit for hunting. Money is not a worry(obviously not thousands but a few hundred is fine) I am not into accessories just a top notch recurve bow. Any help appreciated

2. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    To answer your first question.

It's like comparing a 1966 Corvette to a 2016 Z06.

Both great sports cars but worlds apart if you want to join a car club and track it on weekends.

Kilboars Hunt Club

3. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Shoot everything til you find what you like. Describe to the shop features you like and don't (grip, poundage, length, ability to take down, etc). They should be able to help the most.

I started with learning on a recurve, have (and shoot) more 'traditional' compounds, but shoot what would best be classified as, um, in between a recurve and compound. Each, like a child, with their own 'personality' and quirks (IMHO).

4. Bradleyprejean87

Bradleyprejean87 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I personally own and hunt with both... I picked up the art of traditional bow hunting a few years back now and I will tell you they aren't even comparable in the slightest bit... I've killed deer and animals with both means and its 2 different highs for me... now on the technical side of things. a compound bow is SO much easier to shoot and be proficient at it than a traditional bow. the tuning aspect is worlds apart as well. as with a compound you adjust your bow for tuning well with a recurve you adjust everything with your arrow from the weight to the length and so on... I will tell you this I started with a compound and loved it then got into shooting traditional later on but what it has done is learning traditional archery has made my compound shooting out of this world. I have no problem shooting a deer past 70 yards now with my compound.. so far my furthest shot with my recurve has been on a doe at 37 yrds... if you've never shot archery before id say start with the compound if you have been shooting a bow for a while i'd say get into the recurve shooting because its a high like NO OTHER!