Footwear

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by wfowlks, Aug 25, 2016.

1. wfowlks

wfowlks Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So its my first time hunting, and I have an issue because my tennis shoe size is 15 4E. Now I've done a bit of reading and there is back and forth on the merits of rubber vs leather boots, but I don't want to get into that here. There is no rubber boot that is made wide, and there are few leather boots that would fit.

I was wondering if anyone else has a similar issue with foot size. I was thinking of just wearing my old ASICS Trail runner shoes. I'll probably need to work on de-scenting them. Does anyone else hunt in cross trainers/regular shoes?

2. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know anything about the footwear but my sister say she wants to meet you :-)

Kilboars Hunt Club

3. tkaldahl2000

tkaldahl2000 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have never owned a pair of rubber boots that didn't smell like rubber, so I suspect that as soon as the deer put two and two together there really isn't that much benefit to wearing them. If it is warm out I will wear my regular hiking boots, and have been known to just go out in running shoes. As long as the wind is good it hasn't been an issue for me.

4. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think the rubber smells like rubber to them. I.e. Tractor tire. Truck tire. Etc.

Kilboars Hunt Club

5. kennyg

kennyg Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The boots I wear, whether they're rubber or leather, I only use for hunting. I don't want to leave the scent of my house or my garage or my pets everywhere my feet touch the ground on the way to my stand. Good luck finding boots that big

6. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    the bad thing about running shoes is that unless your feet don't sweat your going to leave more scent in the woods then needed. Do you have a long walk? Regardless of what you wear. I would secure them in a rubber tube before you enter a vehicle or house. I wear slippers until I get out of my truck. then I dress in the field and put on my boots. I only were rubber boots when my ground is flooded. other wise I wear regular hunting boots that are water resistance.

7. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Rubber boots just never seem to lock in like a regular pair of boots, I'm afraid I'll bust an ankle. I generally just use a pair of Merrill hikers with appropriate socks and add boot blankets as it gets colder.
    And yes rubber smells like rubber and they cause my feet to sweat awfully bad.

8. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    just do what jesus would do and wear sandals.