Broadhead questions

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Dashua18, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Dashua18

Dashua18 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in the process of upgrading all the accessories and getting ready to buy some broadheads to get ready for the upcoming season. Stabilizer and quiver are good but the site and the rest are manageable at best so i'm going with a Trophy Ridge 5 pin and the NAP Apache rest. Now for the speed and weight (about 350 grain arrow) would a NAP killzone work fine or would a fixed broadhead be better? I've read a lot of things about what broadhead to use and don't have the money to buy a bunch of different types to test what i like better so i'm getting the broadhead based on what i read and suggestions. I picked the killzone because that's what just about everyone on the "Bowhunt or Die" Show use until spitfire came out. I'm using a Diamond Edge SB-1 318IBO at about 50# weight and 26" DL

2. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the site!!

If you like what you are shooting stick with it. It has been said numerous times on here. The broad head usually isn't the problem. It is shot placement. If you put it in the pump house or the air bags it is going to be over.

3. ETABNT

ETABNT Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    you want to make sure that there are no FPS rating on your BH and other equipment. 50#@26" is not goign to give you alot of speed and it can make the KE used to open Mechanical s very limited. and the 318 IBO is the Factory IBO. there is no way that is what your actual is. with 50# and 26" your in the 280's at best

4. Dashua18

Dashua18 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have yet to shoot a broadhead, just field tips so far so i'm not sure what i like when it comes to broadheads. I figure i'm shooting about 245fps and about 46 KE. Based on those numbers, i'm looking for a good recommendation for a broadhead.

5. DCthebowhunter

DCthebowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That's sounds like a pretty light setup to be shooting the killzones. Maybe think about the low KE version if your set on using mechs? I know rage makes one not sure about NAP. About six years ago I was shooting pretty close to your set up and the Rage low KE worked well for me.

I don't want to say it cause every single post about broadheads says it but its true, "broadhead doesn't matter as long as you make a good shot."

But yeah welcome to the forum! There's literally 100 broadhead threads that all say the exact same thing.

With that being said don't do something just because the guys on BHoD, or any other show for that matter, do it. Everyone's setup and skills are different so not everything works the same for everyone. Obviously they're accomplished bowhunters who know what they're doing so what they use could be a good indicator but is not always the best for you.

Keep up the research and good luck on your quest for a broadhead!

Rage SS - Rage Broadheads

Amazon.com : NAP Killzone 1.8"" Low KE COC 100gr Broahead : Archery Broadheads : Sports & Outdoors

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  6. ETABNT

ETABNT Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Xecutioner makes a great low KE BH. the new Wrath from Bloodsport are great. I used to shoot them when the original owner had the company they were called Hartcrafts. fly FP accurate and will do the job. I shot Xecutioner last year. Great mechanical.

7. Dashua18

Dashua18 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I looked into it and NAP makes a Killzone Low KE Cut on contact broadhead. It basically just reduces the cutting diameter from 2" to 1.8". I think i'll go for those to start out.

8. Dashua18

Dashua18 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    After a bit more research, i think i'm going to go with the slick trick magnum or the muzzy mx-3. Both are time tested broadheads with really good reviews all the way around. And as stated before, it's all about shot placement.

9. bow nut

bow nut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Prob like 240-250

10. Swise660

Swise660 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    In my opinion, as I also shoot 50 lbs and a 26" dl, I would stick with a fixed blade broadhead. I just don't feel there is enough KE to make a mechanical reliable in my mind (even one geared towards low KE).

Any quality fixed blade will do the job as long as your shot placement us good. I prefer a cut on contact myself. I am not sure about others but I do know DirtNap and Magnus have good warranties on their heads.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
  11. Dashua18

Dashua18 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    that's pretty much what i've decided to do. I'm heavily leaning toward the slick trick magnum 100gr. From everything i've been reading, it seems like a solid choice.

12. JesseHunts

JesseHunts Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    For a sight right now im shooting the axion 5 Pin sight and it works wonders i absolutly love it i would give it a try if you want a long lasting sight!!! also for Broadheads i try to stay away from mechanical but thats a argument for a different day i just love penetration and want as much of it as i can get right now i shoot the slick trick 100 Gr. and the montec 100Gr the slick tricks fly a tad bit better but both are amazing heads and i would recommend them both !!!!! ill probably put a Slick trick in my quiver this season.

13. nmwilcox84

nmwilcox84 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    NAP Thunderhead!!!!!

14. Zardoz80

Zardoz80 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Slick Trick Magnum I think is a bit much for your setup. Would go with a Standard or something like a Wasp Drone, or Muzzy trocar. Other good options would be a Magnus Stinger Buzzcut or DRT Dirtnap.

15. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would stay away from mechanicals with those specs. You are asking for trouble.

An inch or inch and one eighth diameter fixed head would be your best bet.

Some names to consider would be Wasp, Muzzy, Slick Trick, and on and on.

It's really hard to go wrong as long as you get a quality broadhead. Stay away from the cheap stuff that's made in China and sold on ebay and at walmart.

16. kevinwolgamott

kevinwolgamott Newb

Dislikes Received:
    This is my really my first year bow hunting i was able to take it out last year one or two times bu this year i am ready and can't wait (my bow season opens in about 72 hrs) but i am using a g5 quest rouge bow set at 48/49 pounds and i am using 500 grain arrows from cabalas and using 100 grain g5 monotec broad heads the thing are great shoot just like my field tips and side note g5 (also make monotec pratice tips) but they shooting great wish you luck this season
    as always aim small miss small,
    Woggie