Who's about to start their first year?

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Bowguy, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Bowguy

Bowguy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great time of year, archery seasons are opening. Let's hear from the new guys, how you got started, what brought you to archery n bowhunting. And maybe what you're planning on hunting.
    Help us remember. And if you need help don't be bashful

2. Garet

Garet Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Had a bow for a couple years now, but this is my first year of knuckling down and putting in the work. All i have access to is public ground in NW Iowa but i've got a lot of promising trail cam pics. Buck fever has really set in at this point. 07290102 (1).jpg

3. Bowguy

Bowguy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's awesome! Best of luck. Post some pics of your first deer no matter what it is.

4. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Best of luck. That one on the right is a stud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Garet

Garet Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you. I've already taken a couple does the past two years so i'm hoping to bag my first bow buck. If the guy on the right doesn't pan out I have a couple other shooters I can try for.

6. Bowdee

Bowdee Newb

Dislikes Received:
    If you new bowhunters are in the NY area on Sunday Aug 21 2016 look up Suffork Archers. They are holding a bow hunting event that will blow your mind. Google them for info

7. Dashua18

Dashua18 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This will be my first year to archery hunt. Honestly, i got into it so that i could have an extra month to hunt but didn't realize how deep archery gets. I'm hooked now. Even when the orange army comes out, i'm still going to be sitting in my stand with my bow. I've pretty much abandoned my rifle for the bow and don't plan on going back. I'm looking forward to that first moment of looking through my peep, down to the dot sight, and lining it up with a deer to release the arrow and watch it fly. Hopefully i'll hit my target and have myself a nice trophy.

8. Donkey Deerz

Donkey Deerz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is my first year. I owned a crossbow for a couple of years but wanted the challenge of a compound and Cabelas was having a sale so here we go. I've always been impressed with archery and felt it would be a great achievement to harvest a mature buck with a bow. I have learned so much and have so much more to learn and enjoy feeling of improvement. I appreciate being able to interact with a friendly and helpful forum such as this.

9. Jerm

Jerm Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hello from Missouri....this will be my first year as well. I'm 33 so I feel like I'm a little late to the game lol but I'm def. hooked.

Tinkered with getting into bowhunting for years but just never did for whatever reason....that changed this year.

Can't wait to be able to hunt in Sept. and October (!!!) for the first time ever, excited as hell.

10. Dashua18

Dashua18 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What are you shooting?

11. Jerm

Jerm Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Brute Force...was down to that or a Cruzer, shot my buddy's Stinger and was sold instantly, opted for the Brute Force instead though.

12. Dashua18

Dashua18 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The Brute Force was what i was was trying to get first but i couldn't find anyone around me that had one so i could try it out. I shot the SB-1 and liked it over the Stinger x so went with it. I really wish i could have shot a brute force. it's getting a lot of good reviews but i don't regret my decision.

13. Bmoyer

Bmoyer Newb

Dislikes Received:
    First year bow hunting and hunting period. Excited to learn, on the base I am stationed on season opened the 15th. Couple buddies convinced me to give it a shot. I know nothing, so am just soaking in the knowledge on here.

14. coreysadams91

coreysadams91 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Got my first Bow last xmas. Spent the whole year up to this point dialing it in, playing with different equipment. It's a Diamond Infinate Edge, added NAP Apache Drop a way. Shooting 340 Victory Deciamtors with Mono tech G5 broad heads. Bought the bow for myself last xmas and have used this site and read COUNTLESS articles to get to the point I am at now. So ready to get out and see if my practice has paid off.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

15. cjoh101

cjoh101 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    This will be my first year to bow hunt. I got my bow last November, it's a Diamond IE Pro. I've put a TR React 5 sight and a Ripcord rest on it, and my arrows are GT Warriors with Wasp Boss 3 blade broadheads. Pulled my cards for the first time this year and I'm pretty excited about the pics, can't wait!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

16. jeepr07

jeepr07 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Started hunting with a rifle when I was 10 with my dad and the guys at camp, stopped when I joined the navy and then worked out in Seattle. Moved back east to New Hampshire, still hunt with dad during modern up in Maine, that won't change.
    But I picked up a bow 3 years ago, to add some more hunting to my life, instead of just 2 weeks up in Maine. Didn't hunt then, then last year was going to, and strained a muscle in my back.
    This year I'm in it and going! Bought my fiancé a bow for Christmas and we are planning a couple of hunts together.
    Shoot a bear cruzr, does the trick! Lol
    Good luck everybody!

17. Hemimonstew

Hemimonstew Newb

Dislikes Received:
    New to the forum, just joined and I myself am looking for as much info I can get. Started hunting when I was a little boy and have not hunted since I was 16. I'm 33 now and I've got the itch. Used to hunt a lot of grouse and deer but this year I picked up a bow and now my wife is getting into it so hope to get out there and practice. I just picked up a pse stinger 3G the 2014 model which is basically in brand new condition. I added the NAP Apache arrow rest and I'm considering looking for a decent sight upgrade. I've only been shooting for a week and I love it!! Picked my wife up a bear cruzer lite. She loves it and she is good with it. Like to hear from some of you trying to get as much info as I can.here are some pics of what I have so far... The shots I have in the pic are my last shots. It took some practice to get there and some adjusting bow to my liking. ImageUploadedByBowhunting.com Forums1472305407.484412.jpg ImageUploadedByBowhunting.com Forums1472305423.243585.jpg ImageUploadedByBowhunting.com Forums1472305454.617685.jpg

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  18. redbellybum

redbellybum Newb

Dislikes Received:
    This will be my first year too. I'll be chasing whitetails in the GA swamps and woods. I decided to give bowhunting a try so that I can get more hunting opportunities. I've become hooked. I'm just trying to soak up as much info as I can, and practice like crazy. I wil miss the season opener next weekend, but plan to be in the woods every weekend after that.

19. Lifeofarush_06

Lifeofarush_06 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hi all, going to be starting bowhunting this season, getting my first compound on Tuesday.. Ive noticed a lot of you guys are hunting on private land using tree stands. I'm up in BC. Canada, and am wondering if you have any stalking tips for public ground hunts. Thanks a lot. Will be hunting black bear and blacktail deer.

20. BeardedK

BeardedK Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Another first year bowhunter here. I'm fairly new to the sport of hunting as a whole and am looking to really get into some whitetail this season. I've got a buddy - a life long hunter - that's helping me out with tips and tricks an generally making sure I don't screw up too badly. Hoping for good things for all this season!