Inconsistent shot groups

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by rooftop808, May 22, 2016.

1. rooftop808

rooftop808 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So, I'm new to archery. I bought a compound bow about a month ago. I have tight shot groups, but I can't keep it consistent. On Monday, I might be hitting the target dead on. On Tuesday, it might be low. So, I move the sights. Now it's dead on. But on Wednesday, it's too high. Hmm.... so I figured it must be my sight picture. But from what I can see...it looks the same with each shot. Hmm... so I go through this mental checklist. Feeling the anchor points in the right areas... check. Seeing the circle within the circle... check. Pin on target... check. Bubble in the center of the level... check. But still... my tight shot groups are inconsistent.

Any suggestions?

2. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Relax. Would be my first bit of advice.
    It does sound like you aren't anchoring the same but it is hard to say without watching you. If your groups move the way that you say I'd just keep on shooting without messing with your sight and seeing what happens day to day over an extended period of time.

3. happyhunter

happyhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What elk guide said is hard to disagree with.

4. elkguide

Dislikes Received:

I'm glad you are finally coming around to the "light side" hh.

5. choppersk61

choppersk61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Could be a few things...

First one, your front sight is loose, so make sure everything is tight...

Second, like Elk guide said, practice for a few days without changing anything.

Third, and most likely problem is that you don't have a proper head / anchor position. So... next time you go shooting try the following:

Anchor an arrow and line up in front of your target.
    CLOSE your eyes and draw keeping your eyes closed...

Once you are at full draw and properly anchored, open your eyes... Your eye should line up with your peep sight without any head movement. If you have to tilt your head, even just a little to see through your peep sight, then your problem is there !!!
    Either is was badly set up initially, or your serving is too loose, allowing the peep sight to move up or down the string from one shooting session to the next.

Adjust your peep sight so that it lines up perfectly, then re-adjust your front sights.(as everything will be out...)

Let us know how it goes.

6. rooftop808

rooftop808 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Choppersk61- So, I closed my eyes, drew back, and anchored. Without moving my head, it appears the peep sight is too low and needs to be moved higher. Gonna go to the shop tomorrow to get some string to retire the peep.

7. rooftop808

rooftop808 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Elkguide- I do think I need my anchor points need to be more defined. I'll work on it tomorrow. Thanks.

8. elkguide

Dislikes Received:
    If you have a multiple pin sight and you see how close together the pins are, remember that if you are moving your anchor point just as much as one of those pin distances, you will be changing your arrow POI (point of impact) that much too.

9. happyhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What axle to axle length is your bow? When I shot a longer bow, I was guilty of tilting my head forward into the peep. That led to a lot of inconsistency in my anchor point and vertical groups.

10. rooftop808

rooftop808 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    31" axle length. It's not that long, but I know I do tilt my head forward into the peep sight. I'll have to correct that.

11. happyhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, it will help. How do you anchor? I changed my anchor point to place my index first knuckle into the ear pocket, and it completely changed my archery world. I went from pie plate groups at 40 yards to grape fruit groups at 60 yards. What I was doing before was all I knew.

12. rooftop808

rooftop808 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    That is exactly what I was thinking. I used to have my anchor point along the ridge inside my ear. But there's no confusing an anchor point if I put right into the ear pocket like you said.

I used to be an avid rifle shooter. I'm used to having the same "cheek to stock" and my nose the same distance from the rear sight all the time so that I have the same sight picture. But bow shooting is harder I think. Is there a sight that's similar to the sights of a rifle? That would make it a lot easier for people who transition from rifle shooting to bow shooting.

Last edited: May 23, 2016
  13. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Not mentioned by others to this point, but also check your grip on the bow. Really you should only need your index finger and maybe your thumb to hold the bow.

14. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If your of all ready listening to them start listening to John Dudleys podcasts. He goes through everything archery related.

Nock On

15. Bowguy

Bowguy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Lots of good advice. I'll add could be your release (form). You need to shoot w proper back tension n you string hand should be brought to your shoulder., back tension gets you there you naturally follow through w hand. If you throw hand up, your arrow goes down, throw it right you get left hits. If the bow is too long which many are you can't bring your hand trough shot cause you're already over extended.
    next thing could be follow through. Don't look for where arrow hits. As you shoot bow will jump, once that happens return to the target as a last step this ensures you stay w shot.

16. shegje

shegje Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Another thing to think about is facial pressure. Keep your string from smashing into your face. This will cause many inconsistencies with your shot and grouping. Your string should just touch the corner of your mouth and then barely lay the tip of your nose on the string, at this point if your peep is adjusted correctly it should be lined up.

17. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    all great advise... nothing I can add... make sure you aren't "punching" your release.

18. rooftop808

rooftop808 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've done three things and my shot groups have gotten much better. I changed my anchor and now my index knuckle is in my ear with the string touching my nose. I bought the peep sight eliminator. And last, I did a lot of practice. Thanks everyone for the advice.

19. Donkey Deerz

Donkey Deerz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This. Helped me tremendously!!