First Hog Hunt

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by willlord, May 3, 2016.

1. willlord

willlord Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey everybody, long time lurker, first time poster. New to bow hunting and will be going on my first hog hunt in a little over a month. Any tips to getting on some hogs here in Texas? Thanks!

2. Tmpky

Tmpky Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Are you going public land or a outfitter? Outfitters pretty much set you in a stand or blind in front of a feeder if that's allowed in TX. Hog hunting is fun to say the least. I love being sitting some place and hear them come in. No sneaky business like deer.

3. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Depends on what area is like. Never hunted Texas but if private land I would put out a feeder and give them time to find it. if they are thick and terrain allows you could spot and stalk too.

Good luck!!

4. willlord

willlord Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the advice guys! It is an outfitter's property so the feeders are setup if I wanted to sit in a blind and wait. They also have a pasture where you can spot and stalk, so I may try that out for a little to see how bad I blow it. :)

5. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If spot and stalk watch the wind and your movement. Pigs can't see worth a crap but they their sense of smell is awesome. If you are creeping in an they look your direction stop moving and generally they won't bugger out. If they smell you though if they are spooky they are outta there.

6. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    On the contrary pigs can be super quiet moving in. And like Copper said very good sense of smell. Better than a deers. They're a lot tougher to kill. Tough hide can be at times caked in dirt or mud, plus scar tissue from fighting which creates the shield. They're not built for long distance like a deer so their lungs are smaller, which creates a smaller target. Practice well and I recommend a fixed blade. Welcome to the addiction.

7. Adamjjf

Adamjjf Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Oh that would be a lot of fun. Take pictures to post after your hunt!

8. Bow Diddley

Bow Diddley Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I grew up in south TX and my brother's shown me pics of what they've been trapping. Seems like you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a hog. I'm hoping to take a hog here in FL before the year ends. Looking forward to your successful report. ;)