Brand new hunter and bow user

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by IAbleacherbum, Apr 23, 2016.

1. IAbleacherbum

IAbleacherbum Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Ok so I am starting late but better late than never. I have been an upland game hunter since I was 14(I am 40) now. I have never hunted deer or shot a bow. 3 years ago I decided to start shooting a bow and deer hunting. I have a bow and a climbing stand. I have only been out hunting 5-6 times and only seen deer 1 time. I haven't hunted the last 3 years(we had 2 kids and I blew out knee) so I am starting fresh this year. What are some of the best advice you can give to somebody who as never shot a deer let alone with a bow. One other side note, I live in Rockford IL and since I live in town I have to hunt public land primarily Kishwaukee forest preserve. Any and all advice is welcome.

2. Gator Dale

Gator Dale Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well fellow rockfordian lot of practice maybe come shot some 3D targets to start. Club here at shirland Blackhawk field archers has some shoots coming up. Start searching the area with a plat book and asking some farmers sometime a little hand to help might get u in. So I can scout for a good place to setup. And welcome to the great sport of archery hunting

3. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Practice as much as you can. Especially from an elevated position. Buy a rangefinder and Always, Always Hunt the wind!

4. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Have fun shooting and do it a lot.

Sounds like you've got a connection there so get together and enjoy.

5. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome. And good luck

6. Thwackthwackthwack

Thwackthwackthwack Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Spend a lot of time with your bow. Both in front of a target and in the woods (obviously in front of a target before you get to the woods). The adage is true " Good things come with time". You end up developing a 'feel' for things- like how to move when deer are in close, when to draw etc. Some of these things can't be completely learned through research. Welcome to Whitetail hunting with a bow, may the addiction treat you well.

7. Gator Dale

Dislikes Received:
    Maybtry getting on list for a two yr. stent out at Byron forest preserve Coleman area Barbra Coleman I believe there is good deer that way

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  8. Gator Dale

Dislikes Received:
    Hope some of this info may help ya and didn't scare u off lol. Was just hoping to help a local Bowhunter. There are other public land spots if u want to drive

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  9. Pastor Scotty

Pastor Scotty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I started at 50! Took year to kill a deer. Bow hunting is 100's time more challenging then gun or muzzleloader.

Advice
    1. Get 50-100 arrows at Walmart and shot everyday from 15 yards or less to build confidence.
    2. Then back up from 15 yards to find your effective range.
    3. Find a mentor. Club and 3-D shots are great.
    4. Plot map and friends help. Pick the area you want to go and start going to church. If you have a 100 kids they will love you. Offer to help on the farm fix fence and stuff. Then ask if you can hang a stand or two. Your mentor will help you pick were.
    5. Practice from elevated shooting location.
    6. Always hunt the wind.
    7. Watch you scent control. Not carbon clothes but how to wash you and your duds.
    8. Finally if it is brown it goes down till you learn your craft.
    9. Have your mentor teach you to blood track a deer. Because you will for the first one or two.
    10. Hunt as often as your life will permit, but never when the wind is wrong.
    11. Get a bow hunting a mag or two and watch bow hunting tv shows with a grain of salt.
    12. Pray and enjoy because thus is suppose to be fun!

PS. I have it so bad that I hunted in chemo for CLL Leukemia.