What to bring! HELP NEEDED! NEWB!!

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by mottoman112, Jan 21, 2016.

1. mottoman112

mottoman112 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys... This upcoming 2016 bow season is going to be my first bow season and I was wondering if anyone has any tips. Really I am looking for stuff that is usefull on the hunt that is not listed in the bowhunting checklist. Anything and everything is welcome including tips. Thanks!

2. sethallphin

sethallphin Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't seen the checklist, but make sure you always have your call, flashlight, and release. Basically make sure everything is set aside prior to your hunt so if you are in a rush you don't forget anything. And never forget your cover scent or any other scent you might use. Other than that keep an open mind and try to maintain patience and not get frustrated. Bowhunting can become an obsession, but it is also an art. You could hunt the entire season and not get a deer, don't let that get you down. It happens to all of us. Also, practice, practice, practice! Practice shooting sitting down, shooting with your gloves on, shooting with your coat on. Measure the platform of your deer stand and don't let your stance get wider than that. Practice like you play until you master it then practice some more. I also spend hours in the woods even when it is not deer season. I believe that every hour in the woods makes you that much better of a bowhunter.

3. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    seth put it pretty well. You'll definitely have to find your own routine for sure.
    Good luck and enjoy!!

4. VandalayIndustries

VandalayIndustries Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in the same boat as you sir! The advice from SethHallPhin is excellent. A number of veteran bow hunters I've spoken to have said the exact same thing to me. A lot of it comes down to practice, patience and getting comfortable shooting your bow.

In addition to the above, one piece of equipment I've found to be very useful is a range finder. If you can find one that doesn't break your bank account, get it. At first I thought it was a bit superfluous but since using it, i don't go out without it. Judging distance accurately is so much more important with archery. A few yards can make a significant different in aiming.

Hope this helps!

5. Blarney22

Blarney22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Silence your cell phone. :tu:

6. ath1089

ath1089 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    And as a new bow hunter myself I found a rangefinder immensely helpful. Also found what Seth said awesome practice until you think you got it down then practice some more. In all honesty in the actual stand is a whole nother world than shooting on foot in your backyard at 30-40 yards.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016