Where to start?

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Sixstroke, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Sixstroke

Sixstroke Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey all, looking to get into se bow hunting next year. It's been 20+ years since I've shot, so consider me brand new.

I don't have much for pro shops or anything around me, so test firing isn't an easy task. Essentially, I'm looking for an adult bow in the sub $450 range that I can grow with (as a shooter, not physically- I'm done there).

I'll have no problem with any weight and I'm a pretty a average size, 5'10" and muscular.

I plan to hit the ranges through this winter and potentially try to bag a deer next year.

Any info I can add to help in the process, please suggest. I'm ready to get out there!

2. tkaldahl2000

tkaldahl2000 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I put together a PSE Vision package for $300. If you know your draw length you can get similar deals on EBay. They don't make the Vision anymore, but that entry level PSE is not a bad deal. You might also consider a the Infinite Edge package. It is very adjustable and in your price range. I did use the Vision to get all of my JOAD/AAA achievement pins.

3. Sixstroke

Sixstroke Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Unfortunately, I don't know my draw length.

I was looking at the Bear Cruzer RTH. I wasn't sure if it's level of adjustability was too gimmicky.

Thanks for the reply.

4. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Go to a good shop and have them size you and get you started.
    It's worth it to start out the right way rather then having to break a bunch of bad habits and relearn the right way.
    Shoot a lot of different bows to find out which one feels right to you.

5. tkaldahl2000

tkaldahl2000 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have to second Elk's suggestion then. I don't know much about the Cruzer, but I would say there really aren't any bad bows out there these days. The advantage of going to a shop is that you can try before you buy. Just don't get suckered in to buying the most expensive accessories on the shelf. My sight on my Vision cost me like $17. You don't need a $90 sight. Since you are talking about hunting too, I would say go for the Whisker Biscuit. You will probably shoot a while before you start to outperform you equipment. Then it will be time for upgrades.

6. Chaotic Archer

Chaotic Archer Newb

Dislikes Received: