What is a good sight for someone new to archery?

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by BlaydaAZ, Nov 8, 2015.

1. BlaydaAZ

BlaydaAZ Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I recently bought a compound bow and was just wondering if anyone can help me out and point me in the right direction. i currently have a sight that is from trophy ridge it came on the bow when i bought it (pre-owned). Im not really a huge fan of it, I believe it is a vertical pin bow sight, i am not entirely sure. I was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions. Also I am left handed, not sure if that matter a whole lot. I appreciate any help i can get thanks.

2. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What do you not like about your current sight? How many pins does it have?

I would recommend a simple 3 pin sight for a beginner.

3. AntlerAddict

AntlerAddict BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    It all depends whether or not you like a multiple pin sight or a single pin. I personally don't like looking at multiple pins, and would rather use a single pin. I've used HHA sights for years even prior to being on the prostaff for BHOD. If it's a single pin you're looking for, I recommend HHA, and they do have a few different models to choose from. Good luck!

4. TheChurchArchers

TheChurchArchers Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    HHA optimizer lite for a single pin you can get them for about $120 or muti pin I'd go with a trophy ridge 5pin normally under $100

5. Stick&String96

Stick&String96 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Trophy Ridge makes some good 3-5 pin sights for not too much, maybe $40-$60.

6. Clem

Clem Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm a new bow hunter and I switched from my trophy ridge to an IQ retina lock. I love the thing! The retina lock has helped me develop a really solid anchor point which has improved my groups. I have the cheap version which was $100 and has five pins. I use the bottom pins so I can shoot out to 70 yards (for practice) making my hunting range seem really easy.

The only challenge with the Retina lock is getting it set up it takes a bit of tinkering to get it right, esp if you are new to bow hunting like me, as your anchor point is probably the biggest source of error. They say site in the 20 yard pin and then get the retina lock bit sorted out but I found it was a process of get the 20 yard pin sited... then the retina lock, which improved my groups and that showed me the site was off, needing to adjust the pins which then means I need to adjust the housing. I repeated this process a couple of times and now I have a very accurate system for me.

7. thegreenhornbowhunter

thegreenhornbowhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Any thoughts on the Trophy Ridge React Trio?

8. llbts1

llbts1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I Q works for me. Not easy to set up, but really helps me to be consistent.

9. Bobby_OA

Bobby_OA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What do you not like about your current site? Do you want a single pin site or a multi-pin? Might be a good idea to find a reputable bow shop in your area that will let you shoot a few different models. You may pay a little more there than you would online but building the relationship with guys who know a lot more about bows than you is invaluable and they can help steer you in the right direction now and in the future as well as pass on some knowledge.

10. gdatre

gdatre Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot a Trophy Ridge React and I really like it. Super easy to set up and the pins are super bright.

11. crxwolski

crxwolski Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  12. MassBow413

MassBow413 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Best thing to do is go to your local archery shop or a big department store. Seeing the sight in person helps a ton.

13. Bowhunter_IL_BT

Bowhunter_IL_BT Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Truglo Carbon XS. Comes with four fiberoptic pins that can be removable and with a light for $40 or less. Can't beat it !!!!

14. Swise660

Swise660 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    When I was just starting out in archery, I absolutely loved the Truglo sights. Heck I still have my Truglo carbon xs as a back up. I also agree with going to stores and handling the sights yourself, you will definitely figure out what you like and don't like by handling them.

I now use a CBE sniper pro that I also really like.

15. mottoman112

mottoman112 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A really good sight that I just bought is the TruGlo Carbon XS four pin sight. I like it alot and it is a really good sight. It comes with a sight light and a sight level. Its only $40. I'm pretty sure it can be used on lefty bows as well. If you are looking for a good single pin sight, my buddy got a trophy ridge single pin sight that is like $50. I think it looks like a good sight and im pretty sure he likes it to. I don't think it is lefty compatible though. I could be wrong.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015