Newbie with questions!

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by CharlieDelta, Feb 26, 2014.

1. CharlieDelta

CharlieDelta Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have been a long time hunter but am very new to archery. Very new. Hubs and I just bought our first bows last week, actually. So I basically know nothing lol We both have Mission Ballistic's.

1. We both would like a quiver. There appear to be a lot of different brands and kinds out there. What kind would y'all recommend? I would like to have the ability to carry 5 arrows.

2. Harmonic stabilizers. Do y'all think that is a worthwhile addition? I understand the basic function but am curious as to what more experienced bow hunters have to say about it.

3. Arm guards... My arm look like a pretty peacock right now. The shop that we bought are bows at didn't have the correct module in stock to adjust down to my draw length. The shop owner expects them to be in very soon and will fix that for me, which should help out with that (or so I am told) but I would still like a guard. I didn't realize there would be so many varieties of those. What style/brand do y'all think is most effective?

4. Bow cases. We would like to find a good hard case. I have seen some that have the capacity to carry 2 bows but we both agree that we don't want to have to haul the others crap around when we want to go somewhere alone! If anyone could give an opinion as to which ones you like or which ones are crap I would greatly appreciate it.

I apologize if my questions or vague or ignorant and appreciate any insight y'all have to give! Though it has only been a week and the only thing I have "killed" is a target, I love it!

2. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    1. Tight Spot
    2. Get Em
    3. Getting Bit and Drawing Blood builds character..form will improve rapidly.
    4. Plano makes a hard case. There are some from Easton. Depends but a case is a good way to go.

3. CharlieDelta

CharlieDelta Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you! The bites are a good incentive to keep proper form; you definitely have a point there! Hopefully I can get all of this stuff quickly so I can be all set up.

4. Iowah

Iowah Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    1) The Mission Ballistic is a AWESOME bow! 2) Go on any youtube video and watch perfect form video's are great. Arm guard isn't very necessary. You will learn how to keep your arm out of the way. I learned that the hard way myself.. Shooting a 80/29 Monster Mr5..

5. ryguy123

ryguy123 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    arm guard isn't necessary it use a release. and if you bend your arm slightly you wont have an issue with the string hitting your arm

6. CharlieDelta

CharlieDelta Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Iowah, I love the Mission Ballistic! I was worried I would get tired quickly at first with the 50lb draw being the lowest on it, but after a bit of soreness the first day, it has been fine. I will have to stalk YouTube for form videos. I hadn't thought of that yet, thanks! Ryguy123, I guess hitting it is a good reminder to keep the bend in my arm, like I was told I was supposed to! I guess I will just quit being a wimp lol

7. Great White

Great White Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    SKB cases are very hard to beat. Mine came with $1500 insurance.

8. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Lakewood Products are easily my favorite cases! With the accessory and arrow case it will hold everything with no problem.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  9. CharlieDelta

CharlieDelta Newb

Dislikes Received:
    We ended up getting the Plano Bone Collector case ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003OJJ8UC ). It appears to be a bit more heavy duty than most. Hopefully that works out well. My brother has an SKB and it's very nice too. Perhaps if this one doesn't work out well, I will go that route. Harmonic stabilizers are on the way too! I appreciate all the input!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Ladydeerkiller

Ladydeerkiller Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I can relate to the episodes with the arm. I have a bad habit of locking my arm instead of slightly bending it...hurts like the devil. Hard to remember everything: bend arm, find your anchor point, relax your grip, etc. I actually had to use a hard soccer shin guard for the first couple of weeks. Good luck....nice set up...and welcome to the site...and archery.

11. Bigtwitch_59

Bigtwitch_59 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't hit my arm yet, I found someone who helped me before I formed bad habits in my form. practice practice practice... the more you shoot the easier itll get. SKB makes a great case and as far as I can tell the harmonic stabilizers do the trick....im also pretty new to this whole thing luckily I have a great local shop that has serious shooter at it the keep me in line.:bhod:

12. hunter76

hunter76 Newb

Dislikes Received: