Arrow Selection

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by brittfam, Apr 24, 2013.

1. brittfam

brittfam Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hello,

My son and I are just getting into bow hunting this year. For Christmas I bought him a Barnett Vortex Lite compound bow. I just had a new arrow rest put on it and had the techs at Outdoor World set it up for him again. I also bought myself a used Martin MagCat Jaguar.

My son is also a Boy scout and is working on his Archery Merit badge. I notice that most of the "Youth" arrows fletchings are misaligned and cause wobbling in hit shots, which make him very inaccurate. I wanted to buy him some better arrows without breaking the bank. I already see him growing out of this bow and will need to get him another this Christmas.

I was looking at some of the threads in the forums and see where the tip could be various weights and one even said that for low poundage bows a 600 spine(???) with 125gr tip. I am a little confused because I want his experience to be good and not frustrating.

What is the best rule(s) when selecting arrows for him. I think I need to have them cut down to his size also.

I appreciate any advise.

Brittfam

2. Tim Ainsworth

Tim Ainsworth BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Start out by figuring out his draw weight. (How much is he pulling?) Go to a pro shop and have them put it on a scale to measure. Once you have figured out his draw weight then you need to look at shaft selector charts from what ever company you decide to use, like Carbon Express. The proshop will also cut your arrows for you as you need to have the proper saw to cut them.
    As far as fletching goes, your safest and easiest bet is to grab some NAP quickfletchs. Buy bare shaft arrows and just throw some quickfletchs on, you will be good to go.

3. xtreme16

xtreme16 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This for sure!!^^^^:tu: