New To Archery, But Eventually Want To Hunt.

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Black Shot, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Black Shot

Black Shot Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Everybody,

I'm new to the whole aspect of shooting sports (and this website) and from NJ, Hudson County, specifically. I've been checking out bows and archery shops closest to my area (Proline in Queens, NYC/Targeteers in Saddle Brook, NJ) and have watched every video on Bow Hunt or Die and they're awesome!

The only experience with a bow that I have was long ago in my cousin's backyard in upstate NY with his junior Recurve. It was a crap bow and arrow set, but I was able to shoot it pretty well and straight, but I know that doesn't mean much.

Anyhow, I was just wondering if any old pros, or new pros for that matter, had any tips about bow purchases and what is the best way to get started. I have figured out that my DL is at least 30in (I'm 6'3" and lanky, I'll admit it) and would prefer to finger-shoot over a release and would like to go Compound over Recurve, though from what I read most say that Recurve is best to learn with (but I'm not trying to pull that much weight back 50x in a row during practice).

I know I'm going to get sore and tired, but it's going to be worth it. I eventually want to hunt but I also know I have much to learn and a lot of practice ahead before that happens (on top of acquiring a hunting license). So, I guess another good question would be, start with a target bow and move to a hunter or just go all out hunter? I have always been of the mind that if you are going to learn something, train with what you will eventually use. Thoughts? Please?

2. Jamesinator

Jamesinator Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Well first of all, welcome!

Second of all, there are a lot of bows out there that will for you. My suggestion is to find a pro shop near you with a good stock of bows and have them fit you and let you shoot them. That's the easiest way to find what will be most comfortable for you.

I noticed you said compound and finger shooting. While I have nothing against finger shooting, when starting out, I would assume that the inconsistancies could make learning to shoot a little difficult, but to each his own.

That being said, go shoot some bows!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

3. Black Shot

Black Shot Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Jamesinator,

Thank you. And thanks for replying.

I have heard that a release yields better consistency in aim and it seems that most compound users shoot with them, particularly hunters. I will definitely experiment w/ both to see which I ultimately prefer, I just like the traditionalism behind using fingers.

Any advice on some good indoor/close quarters arrow targets. I was looking on Cabela's just to check the variety of practice targets, but again, I don't really know what to look for. I just know that they need to be easily movable and able to stop the arrows from going all the way through. I was thinking the block/bag targets would be better then the 3D, at least until I can shoot tighter groups, plus they seem less expensive all around.

4. Jamesinator

Jamesinator Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I made my own honestly. I bout 8 or 10 cloth shopping bags from Walmart, cut up some old clothes and foam flooring (think kids room flooring) into chunks and stuffed the bag, covered with another shopping bag upside down, covered that bag with another upside down, so on. I don't have that fastest bow in the world, or the most KE from my arrows, but it stops fieldpoints pretty well, and costed all of about 20.00, most of that being the flooring puzzle pieces.

The 3d deer are nice, but a little pricy. As far as the size of targets aand making sure you're at least on the bag, when I change sights or rests, ill take my bag out to an empty field, take about 5 steps back, put all of my pins center mass of the target, and adjust from there. Less likely to lose arrows, and in an empty field, noone is getting hurt.

Hope it helps!

5. Jamesinator

Jamesinator Newb

Dislikes Received:
    As a little added confidence in my target , ill always set up a pillow Behind the target if I'm shooting indoors, or pull the target away from the wall a foot or so if you're nervous. I live in a small 2 bedroom, and I normally hang my bag in a doorway by a bike hook and shoot it. Only about 10 yards, but getting form memorized is the big part.

6. Goin4-200

Goin4-200 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I say jump in and learn as much as possible as fast as possible! The faster you get to the outdoors the more you will be glad you didnt wait! Pro shops, magazines, forums, friends that do it, hunting clubs all good options! Good luck

7. Yooper

Yooper Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Finger shooting and having a long draw be weary of short axle to axle bows. The shorter ata the steeper the angle the string makes when you are at full draw. And the peep is farther away from your eye if you choose to use one.

8. Black Shot

Black Shot Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Jamesinator,

That is the same boat I'm in and as you would imagine, I am not trying to put 5in deep holes in my walls, on top of ruin my arrows by driving them into plaster and the like. I would be doing the exact same thing with my targets (bought or made). I would want to work on my form inside before I moved to the outdoors and have to account for wind and things, plus where I live, the great outdoors is at minimum about an hour away (so are all the good pro shops, from what I hear/read) and there is not much outdoors space in town (where I can take a bow and not get arrested/shot by the cops).

But before all that I need to find out my exact DL and get a bow that I will be happy with. I know as a beginner I should be looking at cheaper/more entry level shooter, but I have never been a fan of cheapness. When I look at bows online I keep coming back to Hoyt (Spyder 34/LD), Darton 3800 or Matthews MR6/7. I like the Obsession Knightmare, too. But again it all comes down to what my actual DL is and how they feel when I can actually get the chance to handle them.

9. Jamesinator

Jamesinator Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Yep. All sounds too familliar. I will say, when looking at bows don't leave pseud out. They hard several good bows within the 'bughet' category that are real shooters. I shot several bows, but kept coming back to the bruteX. With a rts package at 499.99, hard to beat for the amount of bow you get.

10. Black Shot

Black Shot Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The Brute X was actually the first bow I ever considered. It is a really nice bow for the price and it's a single cam, too. Many reviews said the same thing. But when I realized my DL might be more than 30in, I started looking at other alternatives. As for the packages, I'm not sure about all the add-ons and gizmos (other than the sight and rest). I just really need to get to a place that will let you handle and shoot the compounds (and get a lesson or 2). Most are all out of the way by about an hour, but those are the ones that are worth the travel time (I just don't have the time right now).

11. Black Shot

Black Shot Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have been reading up on compounds and finger shooting and it seems like something that would not be a good idea, especially in my situation and as a beginner. The other issue I see with longer ATA bows/Long DL is that the bow speed drops considerably and I don't like that. Looks like I will be going release and have to see which one is best for me. I have been looking at the TRUball wrist releases (leather w/ buckle, no velcro); the Assassin (Bone collector edition), Predator, Bandit & Stinger. Any thoughts on releases?

12. Jamesinator

Jamesinator Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I use a tru fire hurricane. I've used several other caliper releases, but the hurricane felt best to me. Adjustable trigger, buckle strap, and less than 60.00 to boot.

13. Black Shot

Black Shot Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Regarding the wrist releases, what is the difference/which is better, when it comes to the ones connected by a bar vs. a rope/string?

14. Jamesinator

Jamesinator Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Well the rope or nylon string ones can normally be adjusted for length where the ones with a bar are just that length. Sometimes you can fine time your dl just a bit by adding or removing length from.your release strap.

15. Black Shot

Black Shot Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Jamesinator,

Interesting and very good to know, thanks. I really need to get down to Targeteers in Saddle Brook (as it is the closest and best shop I can make it to with ease, just nervous about it as I have heard from reviews that they can be rude/unprofessional sometimes. Even when buying $2000 worth of equipment.) to check it out and get some lessons. I hope they do lessons w/ compounds as the 2 shops in NYC don't, which I think is a little ridiculous (Hello? Do you want my business/money or no?).

16. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hey black shot. I'm also from nj. I use targeteers. Some reviews are bad but rob is a really nice guy he will definitely help you. At first he will be a bit impatient but once you get to know him he is a great guy and a fantastic help and will do a great job setting up your bow. And he remembers customers names and is very polite when you get to know him.

17. chopayne

chopayne Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hey,

I spent $1700ish on my first bow and ive rarely shot. Hopefully I stick with this sport. Are you looking to buy a bow on a budget?

18. Black Shot

Black Shot Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Chops,

You don't mind if I call you Chops?

With the bows I have been looking at, I think the cheapest was about $699-$899 or so (a Bear) and I was figuring, all said and done (arrows, hard case, setup, lessons, target/s) that I'd be dropping at least $1500-$1700. Though I am not rich, I don't mind this, as long as I get exactly what I want/need and am happy with it.

I have always been a nut for ancient/medieval/modern weapons, armors and tactics, and having a great bow to add to my collection would leave me ecstatic. I wouldn't just let it sit on a shelf and be like "ooooh, pretty!" I eventually want to hunt and bag me a tasty deer. Venison happens to be my top meat choice and I have always been fascinated with hunting/hunters and being able to track an animal via all the tells in the wild. I just wish I had been able to get into this sport earlier in life, but my parents were always a little scared of giving their kids weapons.

My current bow choices listed below. I have mentioned it before a few times in multiple threads, but besides actually handling/shooting these, my biggest caveat is nailing down my DL (I think it's at least 29-30in, but could be more as I am 6'3-4), exactly, which is why there are so many. But, please, do let me know what you think.

Bear: Anarchy / Motive 6,7 / Method
    Bowtech: Insanity CPX,CPXL
    Darton: 3800
    Elite: Pure
    G5: Defy / Impact
    Hoyt: Spyder Turbo / Spyder 34,34LD
    Martin: Nemesis 35 / Seeker
    Matthews: MR6 / MR7
    Obsession: Knightmare

I just really wish I was rich, cause I really like all of these! I guess I should start playing more mega millions :)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  19. Remy003

Remy003 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm looking to get a new wrist release and I've been looking at the Scott Sabertooth because mine is velcro and I want a buckle, and second of all I'm small so my release needs to be adjustable to accommodate for my small fingers.

20. Black Shot

Black Shot Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Maxpetros,

Thanks a lot. Do you know if they offer lessons w/ compound bows? I saw in the pictures on the website that it seems like they do. Most of the places closer to me don't and I always think it's best to practice w/ what it is you intend to master. Also, will they let you learn on a bow you have interest in? I know some might be harder to handle for a novice at the very beginning, but I'd like to try all the bows I have listed below, minus the ones they might not carry, like the Knightmare.

Bear: Anarchy / Motive 6,7 / Method
    Bowtech: Insanity CPX,CPXL
    Darton: 3800
    Elite: Pure
    G5: Defy / Impact
    Hoyt: Spyder Turbo / Spyder 34,34LD
    Martin: Nemesis 35 / Seeker
    Matthews: MR6 / MR7
    Obsession: Knightmare

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013