New to bowhunting

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Ricpac, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Ricpac

Ricpac Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey all, I just got my hunter safety certification and I really want to go bow hunting this year. I am looking at bows to purchase as I enjoy archery and plan to go bow hunting whenever possible. I was looking at bows and some now packages online. I would some others input on a good bow within a reasonable budget meaning nothing over 400-500. I would entertain under 500 though. Alot of people say Hoyt. Just wondering what the general consensus says. Thank you in advance

2. Just Passin thru

Just Passin thru Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Honestly the best way to pick a bow is to go to your local archery range and try them out to see what you like. Welcome to the site and be warned, bowhunting is highly addicting! :tu:

3. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome!

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

4. Dalton

Dalton Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Your best bets for a good bow in that price range are probably going to be a hoyt charger or almost anything from the mission line. But as mentioned earlier, the best way to pick one is to pick them up and shoot them to see which feels the best. Good luck shopping and good luck this coming season!

5. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome! I would recommend going to a local shop. Tell them what you are willing to spend and then shoot as many bows in that price range that you can.

6. Ricpac

Ricpac Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    hey just another question, what should i be looking for on the bow? anything to add on or something that most people recommend that doesnt come stock?

7. nwflycaster

nwflycaster Newb

Dislikes Received:
    ^^THIS^^

8. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Unless you buy one the "ready to hunt" packages, your going to need to get at very minimum a rest, sights, and your string accessories(d-loop and peep sight). You can do without a quiver and stabilizer for now if your on a limited budget. For a rest, a whisker biscuit is a very common starter rest, and a very common rest in general. You don't need anything fancy for sights as your just starting out. I'm sure your local shop will make recommendations based off of your price range.

9. CombatHM

CombatHM Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  10. in da woods

in da woods Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    welcome to the sight and your new addiction. probably the best bang for the buck is to get a moderate priced bow set-up. There are bows that come as a complete package. They usually have a rest, sight, quiver, wrist holder, silencer. the arrows and release need to be purchased. most bow set up come in around 475-500. I recommend going to a local archery shop and shooting the bow before buying it. It's how is feels and shoots in you hand will determine the best bow for you. Good luck.

11. Mr.CluckCluck

Mr.CluckCluck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    go to your local shop and shoot some! If you find one you like you may find it on here for a good price. I've only owned one bow but i love my matthews so i would recommend matthews fast smooth shooting bows. Good luck!

12. Ricpac

Ricpac Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    went to a shop and checked out my draw length, knuckle of the top to my mouth is 24". i keep looking for bows but i see they usually start at 25-30". Also the guy at the shop said that a moderate priced bow is good and dandy but to save up and go for a 700-800$ bow, so that way it will last longer and wont get outdated so fast. anyone agree?

13. Shockwave

Shockwave Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I also second checking out http://www.huntersfriend.com. I'm also new to bow hunting and basically I just went out and shot as many bows as I could until I shot the one that made my face light up. I ended up not picking the bow up from Hunters Friend because the one I wanted was last years model and they no longer had it in stock but if they did, I definitely would've gone with a field ready package from them. My attitude is to buy the best stuff you can afford so that you don't really have to worry about wanting to upgrade every season. Once you get your bow, go to your local archery shop and have them set it up for you. Once its set up to your measurements, and all sighted in, you'll be ready to rock. You can then pick up pre-made arrows or have them custom made for you. You'd be looking at somewhere in the area of $100-120 for a dozen.

14. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ^what he said^