Advice on a bow for bigger guy

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Redside1986, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Redside1986

Redside1986 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hello,

I'm new to this site, but have lurked around for sometime, and really enjoy all the information that this site offers. I need some advice on the type of bow that may be right for me, and the type of hunting that I will be doing. I'm a bigger guy, about 6'4" and have a draw length of 31 inches. I live in open country in Central Oregon, and have rifle hunted all of my life and would really like to get into archery hunting. I plan on hunting deer, elk, and antelope and need a bow that will fit that bill. Do I need a taller axis to axis length, like the 34 or a shorter 31 or 32? Any advice you could give me to get started would be greatly appreciated.

2. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The Mathews, Bear, Bowtech, Diamond (made by Bowtech), Hoyt, PSE, Obsession and Alpine all have 31 in draw length bows as do others. Head to a bow shop and see what they have in stock for you to shoot. Any bow you choose will be more than adequate to hunt big game in north america with. Good luck and welcome to the site.

3. doepatrol2000

doepatrol2000 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think Hoyt makes long draw models that go out to 32"

4. 60X Custom Strings

60X Custom Strings Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'd look at the pse freak. It's a great bow for longer draw lengths.

5. AJBowhunter

AJBowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would recommend Hoyt. The have long draw models. I have sold a couple to guys and they love them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm 6'5 and have been shooting Bowtechs. I really like the size of the CPXL. It's not a great spot and stalk now because of its size but great for tree stands which is what I hunt out of. You might take the size into consideration if you are hunting open country.

7. bigmarc6767

bigmarc6767 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm 6'7" and have been shooting Bowtech Experience with modified cams. They are the best bow for us big guys.

8. Dunlap

Dunlap Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot the hoyt factor turbo and the mathews HTR no cam. My draw lenght is right under 31. I shoot both at 30 in. With a half inch loop and don't have any problems. Also shooting different releases might change how you anchor and the draw length needed.

9. Loganlee

Loganlee Newb

Dislikes Received:
    With you just starting off I would suggest a long axle to axle bow and a good 7 inch or more brace height. Speed is not everything if you can't shoot consistently which is what I ran into I was a speed freak at first went with insanity cpx by bowtech super fast now but couldn't hold on target lowered my draw weight down to 59 still couldn't switched to and elite energy 35 and it's not even the same world shooting I have no problem holding on target or anything not saying that it's the only now out there but it's worth shooting along with all the rest you never know what you will miss if you never shoot them

10. jns222

jns222 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Hoyt Faktor 30" with a 30" draw and I had nock pinch issues. Had to tie in a nock point above and below the arrow nock then split the string loop above and below those tied nock points. Solved the issue. I would go with a 34" ata or more to help with nock pinch.

11. Redside1986

Redside1986 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the great advice guys, I really appreciate all ideas that you gave me. I'm looking at buying a Hoyt Katera XL, that has been used very little and is in great shape. Anyone have any experience using the Katera XL and how did you like it? Pro's and Con's???? Thanks again for all the help.