New to bowhunting need some advice

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by bh5, Feb 28, 2015.

1. bh5

bh5 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am looking to purchase my first bow and wanted some advice from y'all on here. I have heard a few different things from some of my friends about what to get how much to spend. Some have old me to buy a used bow and get the feel for things, and others have told me to purchase a mid-range bow because you will end up spending more to upgrade the cheaper bow.

I have looked at a few different bows and packages that are available. Mission Venture, Diamond Carbon, and Bowtech Carbon Knight.

What is yalls opinion on what is the best way to go. I will have a place to go and hunt every year if that helps out, and budget is $800 max...but still a little unsure about that number. Thanks for the help.

2. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    A lot depends on the $800 figure. Is that for your bow only or is that your budget for your entire setup (bow, clothes, stands/blinds, etc.)?

3. bh5

bh5 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The $800 is for the bow and accessories for the bow, ready to hunt.

4. bh5

bh5 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    One of my buddies has an older mathews fx, I think its maybe 08-09 model that he would sell for about $250. It still will need stabilizer, release, quiver, broad heads, probably some new sights too. The packages I have seen come with everything I would need.

5. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    First go to an archery shop and shoot a few bows. Many have new and older models on hand. Once you find one you like, check on ebay and other places for one in your price range. Most will have sight, rest and quiver already on them. You can have an archery shop check it out for you once you buy it.

6. Rogue6

Rogue6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Believe it or not another good place to look for good bows at low prices is the Pawn shops in the area you would be suprised at the reasonable prices you can find on a good bow someone got and then couldn't sell and then sold to a pawn shop. Also as stated above go to a Proshop and shoot some to get a feel for what you might like.

7. Bowhunter0132

Bowhunter0132 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree. Go out and shoot various models to see what you like and what works for you. Then check on E-bay, Craigslist and such. If you get a decent, older model, you can save $$ and they usually come full set up. You can always upgrade/change out the rest/sights/stabilizer, ect to get the bow where you want it.

8. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was set on the Bowtech carbon knight until I shot the Hoyt Charger, could easily deck it out for $800. Look at previous years models as well, they will be a little bit cheaper