up n a tree or low on the ground?

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Iam4Clemson, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Iam4Clemson

Iam4Clemson Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Here is a question that will help me with getting my gear for the upcoming FIRST hunting season for me. I'm wondering which is better for me, a tree stand or a ground blind like the GhostBlind. The reason I'm even asking this question is that im not a little boy by any means. I was taking meds that made me balloon up to my heaviest ever but I am now off of those meds and am losing steadily now, but I digress. I am now back under 300 pounds, Thank God.

Is there a weight limit on tree stands? I'm not afraid to climb one, or sit in one, etc, but I also wonder if a ground blind may be better for me all around. What are your thoughts, guys?

2. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I would go with a treestand. Groundblinds are great but you can be limited in hunt locations and field of view. Most treestands today can handle a big guy. A lot of them have seats that are not comfortable. Look at the Millenium M25. It is a good stand and very comfortable. I have several Millenium stands. They are not expensive and are great for long sits.

3. BeastFeast

BeastFeast Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Until last week I was above the 300 lbs. range myself. So I know what us big boys have to deal with. I prefer a tree stand myself. I like being up high to get a better vantage point to hopefully see the deer coming in before they hit my shooting lane. I started using the summit Goliath climbing stand a few years ago and absolutely love it. It's a little extra weight to carry in but I knew I needed the exercise. I feel tree stands are a little easier to put up in the morning and hunt in it that night ... If I do a ground blind in a new area I feel like it sticks out even after I brush it in so I usually let it sit there a week before hunting the ground blind. That's just my 2 cents hope it helps.

4. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Great advice!

5. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I prefer up in the trees but I needed a ground blind for one certain area that I really wanted to hunt, so this year I'm going to brush in my blind and hunt in both blind and stand. If you were interested in a hang on stand sportsman's guide has one that's $30 and the weight capacity is 300lbs so that more than enough for you. I bought two last season, the straps are the only thing that I really hated otherwise they were great.

6. t8rsalad

t8rsalad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm sitting in around 250. I've hunted both ways. For me, it's all about comfort. As long as your gear is rated for the right weight and you maintain it, a tree stand is the way to go in my opinion. Much better view that way and if done right, less chance chance of getting winded.

7. Iam4Clemson

Iam4Clemson Newb

Dislikes Received:
    You guys keep saying "brush it in" and Im pretty sure I know what that is, but with the ghostblinds, you dont need to do that as it is constructed with mirrored panels that reflect the ground 3-4 feet in front of you so it blends. Check the images below as well as the video and tell me what you think of that for me to use if I decide to go ground for the first year...

[video=youtube_share;SR4noJDE-T8]http://youtu.be/SR4noJDE-T8[/video]

Attached Files:

8. ShaneB22

Dislikes Received:
    Do you have a ghostblind? If you do then use it but if not then I say just stick with the trees.

9. Iam4Clemson

Iam4Clemson Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I dont have one, but I also dont have a treestand either. Im brand new to it all, which s why I was asking

10. ShaneB22

Dislikes Received:
    Oh I see, well sportsman's guide has some decent stands pretty cheap. I bought two 18"x25" hang on stands $30 each and they're holding up great and you can get a hang on and 20' ladder stick combo for $70, I just bought two ladder sticks for my stands and so far they're great. If I were starting like you I would get the 24"x29" $35 stand for extra room because 18"x25" might be a little small for someone who's new and the sticks for $40, the only thing I would do is replace the ratchet straps because they don't have hooks and are a pain some times to get hung in the tree.

11. captain71

captain71 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use both blinds and deer stands. I put my blinds on thick woods on the deer stand not much of a view being so thick.

12. Smoke

Smoke Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    a lot depends on where ya hunt and the type or terrain and trees ya have.... flat ground and good trees with no or few lower branches I'd go with the stand for sure... but if it's like here (western Washington) where it's all up and down and fir or ceder trees with a ton of lower branches, stands dont work, and ya have to go with the blinds...