Completely new to bowhunting, need some help

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by jbarb, Feb 25, 2015.

1. jbarb

jbarb Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hello all! I have been trying to get into bowhunting for some time now, and I was very fortunate to finally get a bow around Christmas time. I have been shooting a decent amount and I'm really enjoying it, but all I have right now is the bow, release, and arrows... nothing for hunting.

I was hoping to get some advice on where to start as far as equipment/ clothing needed for this upcoming hunting season. I basically need everything. I am a recent college graduate and my loans are certainly not helping my financial situation, so I'm trying to gather what I can a little at a time without breaking the bank. I know I can't afford the top of the line stuff. Any recommendations on a good place to start? What about things I need vs. don't need to get started? Any information I could gather on things like camo/ boots/ binoculars/ safety harness/ stands/ calls/ etc. would be graciously appreciated. I will be hunting public land most likely, so I think a climbing stand would probably be best, but I'm not sure what kind. Thanks in advance!

2. Revvv

Revvv Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Start small and don't pay attention to brand names. You likely will not need everything at once. A basic camo suited for your climate and terrain is a good place to start, but not a must. I have been known to hunt in a flannel shirt when hunting deer.

You are likely about to be overwhelmed with opinions. Educate yourself and learn opinion from fact. Many people push a particular brand as if they are being sponsored.

The basics for me begins with comfortable clothing, good boots and socks, a hat (you can still get a sunburn in the winter), a light pack to carry a small first aid kit, bottle of water, a few snacks, and other things such as a poncho and archery accessories (don't forget the toilet paper). A good knife is always a plus.

I would encourage a beginning hunter to be a ground hunter. If you can afford a blind that is a plus, but not a necessity. People have hunted thousands of years using natural cover.

Do not buy into every gimmick you hear about. However, do what you can to control your scent. You will never eliminate scent, but it is good to try.

This is a decent base to launch from. I also encourage understanding the animals you plan to hunt, and how to manage them. You may not be able to feed and supplement them at this time, but the more you learn, the better. Plus, once you understand the animals habits you will be able to spot where they live more easily. You will know about food sources, patterns, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. mhouck06

mhouck06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the sport!
    First things first... Safety harness. If you buy a stand, one will be in the box. Still though I would recommend looking at a muddy harness or hunter safety system. Price wise they aren't too bad and the comfort and ease of use are appealing.
    Camo wise your options are almost endless. You can find decent stuff for reasonable prices at almost any sporting store. The nice thing about archery is it's usually milder temps so you don't need to go overboard and you can always layer. Boots, I am a rubber boot guy and I like them to be comfortable. There are tons of options out there and I'm sure you will be able to find some that fit your price range. The rubber boots are def get what you pay for IMO. I've had cheap ones that are done for in less than a year (splitting/cracking etc). Im currently using a pair of muck boots that will be going on three years. I think they have been worth every penny. A climbing stand is something that would probably suit your needs but definitely takes practice. You can be mobile which is nice. I have used summit climbers and they are sturdy and easy to use. Price may be a little higher than some others, but it's another item that I think is worth every penny when I consider the durability, function and overall use of the stand.

my personal opinion on binos calls and any other gadget is they Are nice to have and fun to play with but as a new bow hunter can be more trouble than they are worth and an added expense that could divert funds from the more important items.

This is all just my opinion, lots of great hunters on here with tons of good info. You're in the right place and you will learn a lot. Hope I was able to give you some insight and I wish you luck on this journey!!

4. Bryan Jeffrey

Bryan Jeffrey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Go to Amazon buddy. they have very cheap camo. ($25 pants even). I bought a pack of 3 broadheads for $17.00.
    I love the binoculars i bought there. kinda bulky, but man to nice. and that was only about $25. the key it to look and the review, read the good and the bad ones. make a decision from that.
    Im the type of guy that loves top of the line stuff when i can afford it. but we just had our first child so now im in the broke bus with you. and i just started hunting aswell. and in a transition from 5 years shooting recurve to now shooting compound.

5. Bryan Jeffrey

Dislikes Received:
    Oh and one last thing you could try. try thrift stores for boots and camo. i live in southern california. you would never find camo in a thrift store out here. but i know my ladys sister buys all her camo at thrift stores, and shes out in texas.

6. rsmith

rsmith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would highly highly recommend to get acquired with your equipment and make sure you are confident shooting at 10,20,30 yards and can shoot at least a 4 inch group at each range before going out and shooting at a animal. Other than that go to archerytalk and also eBay for great deals on everything. Just make sure you know what you are looking for and are getting the right stuff such as proper draw length and weight bow, proper arrows and true flying broadheads. Also check your local tractor supply they usually have cheap insulated scent free boots for about 30 bucks.

7. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome! Some good advice here. You can't get everything that you'll need/want at first, cost would be too great for you at this sensitive time.(lol) Whatever you do, DON"T fall into that scent eliminating clothing thing, it's a crock!!!! And I mean this! I'm loosing track of the deer I've killed WITHOUT it. Basic camo is all you need to start out. You can get fancy if you want when you're better equipped financially.

Then, you'll want to pick up a treestand and a SAFETY HARNESS! More deer are killed from elevated stands than any other way, you'll want this advantage! Hunt high enough with the right wind direction and you'll be good for most situations. There's much more to this bowhunting thing, but this should give you a good start. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE

8. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    As others has said, don't fall for marketing hype. Especially when it comes to your camo. Deer can't tell the difference between Realtree, Mossy Oak, or Lost. Any generic woodland pattern will do. I just bought a military grade BDU style shirt and pant set for hunting on Ebay . Spent only $65 for the pair.

9. Iam4Clemson

Iam4Clemson Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Revvy...can you expand on this? I am also brand new and a "lsrger" guy. I dont mind climbing, but was thinking about something like a Ghost Blind for myself. Can you tell me your reasoning for newbs to start on the grlund?

10. Bryan Jeffrey

Dislikes Received:
    I would disagree with that. it depends on the area he is hunting. I am new to hunting but have shot archery for years. whatever the max distance he would shoot at in the field. he should practice at least 20 yards farther, provided he has the space. then he will be confident in the field and all his shot taken while hunting will be in the vitals.
    for instance. where i live/hunt. the longest shot i would be able to shoot would be 40 yards. so i would practice at 60 yards every day if i had the room. i can only shoot 40 yards on my property, and if i have a spotter i will go into the street and shoot 50 yards.
    sight in you 20, and 30 yard pin. then after that shoot as far as you can as often.
    just my opinion.

11. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I buy most of my hunting clothes from walmart. Base layers run about $10-$15 or I use extra shirts I don't wear anymore, light weight camo shirt and jeans $20 a piece, light and heavy weight gloves $10 & $20, light and heavy face mask $5 & $15, socks $5?, heavy jacket and overalls $60-70? walmart total would be around $280 ish and I buy rubber itasca boots $70. I don't worry about binos or calls but I carry a mad hypergrowl just in case. A climber could run you anywhere from under $100 at sportsman's guide to ridiculously high like $400+. You can find cheap packs for under $20. Good luck.

12. Iam4Clemson

Iam4Clemson Newb

Dislikes Received:
    That is a good point, Bryan! Im in North Ga and the woods are pretty thick up here. Ill have to ask around about max distance that I might encounter.

13. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    To be honest I would say stick with the tree stand. If you were hunting public land you would have to get in there hours before sun rises and brush in your blind because deer will notice the unnatural shape and avoid it. If you were on private land you could use a ground blind but I would still recommend a stand.

14. Bryan Jeffrey

Dislikes Received:
    If your at all like me. there is no point in buying a blind or tree stand. ADHD wont allow me to sit in one spot for hours on end. spot and stalk makes hunting feel more natural, and less like fishing.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  15. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Work as much as possible and save what you can. Get what you need to practice now (bow accessories such as rest, stab, and whatever you don't have) while you save up for hunting stuff. Currently walmart has their hunting stuff on clearance if you can find anything left. Got my girlfriend some camo for very cheap and some slick tricks for $15. You can get a stand for around $35 and they work just fine, you'll probably want a climber though for public and they can get expensive. Just remember with just about anything, you get what you pay for. Go on ArcheryTalk.com and go through their classified ads

16. Whitie_08

Whitie_08 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I would say don't be afraid of used gear. Craigslist, thrift stores etc. bass pro's redhead brand has some really reasonably priced stuff, as well as Walmart. If you buy a new tree stand you will get a junk safety harness with it, I hated it but it was better than falling out of a tree. But a quality harness is one of my favorite accessories. I think throughout the season and maybe even the next few you will develop in to what you like and make changes to your gear as you gain experience.

17. jbarb

jbarb Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for all the great info. I will hopefully be able to start accumulating the things I need a little at a time and have it ready by the time opening day comes around. I appreciate the help!

18. Revvv

Revvv Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was giving an economical example. Hunting deer will always be easier from 12 - 20 ft up. However, natural brush and cover works great if you are willing to sit still and be patient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Rogue6

Rogue6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    After reading this thread there is not much more Advice i can add other than the one that helped me the most when i started and still does today, RANGE FINDER!!!! until you are absolutly comfortable judging your ranges from elevation i would get one and keep it in your bag or around your neck, Taking a range check before you shoot with todays tech like Halos range finders (which are affordable) can add a real confidence builder! Oh and Welcome to the Hunt!!! Last but most important HAVE FUN!!!!!:)