NEWB new to hunting, need everything. Advice?

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Iam4Clemson, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Iam4Clemson

Iam4Clemson Newb

Dislikes Received:
    OK, I say Im new to hunting, but I have hunted duck and dove with a shotgun in my younger years. Now, I am older and really want to get into bow hunting...first for deer and then moving into turkey and hogs as well. My problem is I have NO gear and need it ALL. Not one thread of camo do I have. I have pretty much decided on getting the Bear Cruzer for my bow so that is decided, but what do I need besides a bow (and the arrows, etc that goes with the bow)? What will I need to buy, at a minimum, to start hunting deer? Its all so overwhelming that I dont really even know where to start.

If you tell me camo, please tell me what brands are good, etc. Remember, Im trying to do this on a budget...I dont want to break the bank.

Any help?

2. Bowhunter0132

Bowhunter0132 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A pro shop can and should set your bow up for you. Everything is really by what you like and what works for you as far as equipment. You don't need the newest, most expensive stuff to hunt and for most things, the cheaper models can work just as well. The only things I would not go cheap on are the tree stand and the safety harness. The stand you will be sitting in for hours.. you need to be comfortable. The harness could save your life if a mishap happens.

If you are hunting public lands, get a climber tree stand. You will pack it in/out with you for each hunt. If you have your own land or some private land to hunt, a ladder stand would work. Whatever you get, read up on the safety points and how to properly use it. If you get a climber, practice with it when you can so you aren't fumbling around in hunting season. You could also go with a ground blind, but my experiance is deer notice the blind and know it is out of place and are cautious of it.

As far as camo, think about where you are hunting. In most cases Real Tree or Mossy Oak will have the most common, most chosen patterns, but most any woodlands camo would work. As long as it breaks up your outline and helps you to blend in, it works. I personally use Mossy Oak break up and it works well.

I would also suggest trying to find a local person who is looking for a hunting buddy or even just a shooting partner. If you can't find someone, go to a local archery club. Experianced deer/hog hunters and archers can really give you a lot of insight and help guide you, but the best teach is your own experiance after each hunt.

As far as bow hunting.. get your bow, get it set up and practice, practice, practice. Shoot a couple shots before work, come home and shoot a couple shots before dinner. Don''t just shoot and shoot for hours. A few shots, then quit until later on. If you get fatigued, you will start to make mistake and teach yourself bad habits. Pick up a video on shooting or watch YouTube videos on proper form and technique. If you are starting to shoot in the next few months, you should be set and ready come hunting season.

3. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Allen,
    Pm me your address I might have a few things I can donate. Wont be the best money can buy but it can help get you started.

4. Iam4Clemson

Iam4Clemson Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Sending PM

5. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the site! I grew up in Jonesville, SC just below Spartanburg. Most of my family lives in Spartanburg. Been a Clemson fan for years!
    I have few things I can help out with as well. Send me a PM.

6. Iam4Clemson

Iam4Clemson Newb

Dislikes Received:
    HOW COOL to find another Tiger fan! PM Sent, bro!

7. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Are you around the Clemson area?

8. Iam4Clemson

Iam4Clemson Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Im in Atlanta about 2 hrs away.

9. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Gottcha, in on the NC/GA border so a couple of hours from Clemson. I go down to a few scrimmages and practices through the year.