New hunter

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by zzentic2, Feb 4, 2015.

1. zzentic2

zzentic2 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am 21 years old, 6'5" and a former college football receiver. I want to get into bow hunting but don't know what would be best to fit me. A longbow? A compound? What kind of test and the size of the bow. Would appreciate your feedback.

2. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hi zz :wave: Welcome to the site.
    Good grief - you're a giant! You could probably draw a telephone pole :hail:
    I'm just a little guy so I'm not the right 'size' to give you any suggestions... but somebody more knowledgeable than me should chime in with some for you soon.

Again... Welcome!

3. nontypical223

nontypical223 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Couple of questions for first do you know what your draw length is? What's your budget? Plenty of bows out there have you looked at any? If so what are you interested in?

4. nontypical223

nontypical223 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Not to down this site, but you'll get faster replies from archery talk.

5. Longdraw

Longdraw Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    6'5". Wow you're a freak! I can say that cause I'm 6'8" and have a 32" draw. Visit a few archery stores or do internet research. I picked up a used Mathews LD(long draw).
    I heard from some bigger guys that if you practice enough with a bow that has a shorter draw you have a lot more options, which is good advice.
    Best of luck and welcome. I have learned a lot reading around these parts.

6. Smoke

Smoke Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    pretty open question.... my first response would be whatever you personally like best... now.. some things to consider as a new hunter.. a long bow or recurve will me more likely to snag branches and brush walking in and out. Also, at full draw, while waiting for that deer to step out from behind the tree your holding the full peak weight of the bow (50,60,70 lbs).. with a compound bow your only holding less then 20 lbs (with 70-80% let off) so less fatigue.. a compound bow has more moving parts tho.. so more that can break or go wrong... as for the size... assuming your talking draw weight... anything over 40 lbs will kill a deer, but I'd suggest 50 plus for cleaner kills (I shoot 60).. if your talking size as in inches... the longer the ATA (axle to axle) and the longer the brace height (distance from grip to string when not drawn) the more forgiving the bow is for poor form, the trade off is the longer the ATA, the more change of snagging branches and brush ... once you decide what you want... make sure it's set up for your size, and properly tuned... then practice, practice practice... then go kill some deer :)

7. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the site! When you have a chance, go into an archery shop and shoot a few of each. See what feels best in your hands.

8. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the site.

As others have stated, it's a good idea to get into a pro shop and have your Draw Length measured. This will give you a better idea as to what bows will fit you.

As far as deciding between a longbow or compound, you'll be able to find one that'll fit you either way. So the choice is yours. :tu:

9. Djfan

Djfan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Go to an archery shop near you. With your dimensions you need to know your drawlength before you start looking at bows, as some of them won't go the distance for you.

Here's the bow I shoot. Absolutely LOVE it!!! If it fits you, give it a look.

Compound Bows, Hunting Bows : Cabela's : Cabela's

10. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As far as compound vs long bow, it preference depending on the style of hunting you want to do.. Both will have models to fit you. You will probably have to have long draw models of compound bows. Best to go to a pro shop and shoot some to find what you like

11. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome!
    A good pro shop should be able to fit you with whatever you may need. It would have to be a custom order though, so I would expect it to be a bit extra $$
    Good luck!