duel cam or solo cam

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by johnwonders, Jan 26, 2015.

1. johnwonders

johnwonders Newb

Dislikes Received:
    what are the major ups and downs to duel cams or solo cams? does it boil down to preference? is one more or less maintenance? and thank you for you're time in advance

2. MistaWondaBread

MistaWondaBread Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  3. William Moore

William Moore Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Me personally I like the twin cam

4. avant

avant Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Twin cam is more tuning maintenance but tends to yield faster speeds. However I've only shot and owned a single cam bow in the last few years

5. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    IMO. Its up to you. I prefer dual cam bows such as the PSE or Hoyt cam-n-half system. Single can bows are fine as well. Owned a few and liked them.

Sent from my XT830C

6. montec

montec Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a 2 cam and glad I went back to it. The single cam was way over-hyped for years .Just think about it....Mathews bombarded us with all sorts of us reasons why the single cam was best. But after a few years of that, the single cam speeds weren't as fast as 2 cam bows. Then Mathews brought out their Monster line....now a 2 cam bow was the greatest thing since sliced bread. I shoot a lot and I have not had to tweak my APA Mamba M7 in over 2 yrs....and it's blazing fast and super accurate.

7. Aatifraza

Aatifraza Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hello all, Noob here.
    I was wondering how the hell do you actually even get a tree stand in a tree haha. yes that is how noob i am. My father is a motocross dude and loves anything racing. I never have been exposed to hunting and this is something i have always wanted to do, so im kinda tryna teach myself.

Also, what do you prefer. a tree stand or blinds. I know blinds are needed to turkey hunt for the most part, but how do you all hunt?

also how do you get permission to hunt land, i mean you cant just walk into someones back yard and kill a deer, so how does all of that work?

8. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hey no worries we all started somewhere! A lot of people use a "like men's belt" when hanging tree stands. It allows for your hands to be free will your standing up there. They also make a pulley system for heavier stands that you can climb the tree then hoist the tree stand up into the tree.

As for three stands vs ground blinds they both have their usages. I prefer being up off the ground personally but a good ground blind brushed in so it appears to be a bush to the deer over a foodplot in the late season can be great! It just comes down to personal preference.

Find a place to hunt is a different story. Going up and knocking on doors can work but be prepared to hear a lot of Nos. Public land is usually an option but may require more work in terms of scouting. I would definitely try both options and if you have any friends that hunt ask them for advice specific to your area, they may even know someone that would let you hunt private!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Shoot both and see what you like.. I like hoyts cam and a half. Generally tend to be faster than one cam

10. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You really have to shoot them to find out what you like. People will give you answers but what good are they really? They're just opinions. Ok first are you into speed? Second do you like a smooth draw? Many of the bows today are both you really can't go wrong. Single cams tend to be smoother but slower and dual cams are almost always faster and some times a little harsher on the draw especially if you get a "speed bow" (IBO 335+). When you draw 70lbs with a speed bow you know you're drawing 70lbs, but with a single cam it may feel like you're drawing less weight because of the design. Bows today are so good that you can find a dual cam bow that draws just as good as a single cam. Just go to a local pro shop and shoot a bunch of bows within your price range and see what feels best to you, it's a lot to say for short answer but that's really the best thing you can do.

11. johnwonders

johnwonders Newb

Dislikes Received:
    so i went with a single cam for starting off with archery. I have crappy eyes and have to wear contacts or glasses and got a single pin because to multiple pins i was having a hard time focusing on 1 individual pin with the other pins being so close, but now am having a difficult time getting a grouping i am happy with when setting my sight tape.( i am not getting consistant groupings even when i take my time breath proper and anchor the same every time) any suggestions?

12. Rogue6

Rogue6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Everyone has to start some time as stated above me. I can relay some of what helped me when I first started me and a friend of mine figured out which coffee shop in town that most of the farmers hit in the mornings and started going there when we could to get to know them also going door to door and offering to help out on their place somehow in exchange for hunt usually got us in....there is always something to do on a farm and farmers and ranchers like people willing to work for something.

13. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I prefer single cam bows.