Arrow rest help

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by oneshotonly, Jan 2, 2015.

1. oneshotonly

oneshotonly Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just changed from a Whisker Biscuit to a QAD LD rest and this is how my arrows are hitting. Any advice on how to get them to fly straight.
    20150101_121639.jpg

2. MartinHunter

MartinHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    go back to the whisker biscuit..lol one of the best rests made no moving parts nothing to fail..

3. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I had a ripcord code red for the last several years.. shot great.. pulled back one sit in the woods and the rope broke... can't imagine that happening with an animal in front of me.. switched back to a WB and shot just as good... no difference for hunting.. I don't care what people say.
    perfect paper tune as well

4. MartinHunter

Dislikes Received:
    both my bows have whisker biscuits and both shoot great...why mess with a good thing..

5. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Make sure your center shot is spot on.

Sent from my XT830C

6. Beefie

Beefie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wisconsin, Just south of the Green Bay Packers.
    Come on guys he is asking for help on adjusting his sight, not what rest he should of bought according to others.

Check center shot, I think you have to move the rest the opposite way of what its shooting to get it to adjust correctly.

Beefie

7. MartinHunter

Dislikes Received:
    i understand that , but he had a rest that worked fine and he changed often times you can't just change one component it becomes vicious cycle.. I suggested he go back to what he had..I have been shooting one since 1999.

anyway best of luck with you new rest hope you get it worked out...

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  8. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The picture isn't enough ....
    It could be one of several issues.

First assuming your dealing with a left tear ...your under spined.

You could have a center shot issue, ie it's not set correctly.

You may also have a contact issue, your rest may not be timed correctly.

9. jjs3

jjs3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great response trial153. I'm having same thing on 1 of my bows and going to take a look

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. tred

tred Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I would shoot the same arrows but aim just to the right and if you hit the target in the center I would move the rest first. Center shot check that in your vice. I have put an arrow in my bow held it out level and looked down the string and look to see if you can see if the arrow or left or right of your string. Try not to torce your bow when you are looking.

11. oneshotonly

oneshotonly Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I love the biscuit but I shoot with Gold Tip arrows and after awhile you will notice a scraping noise on the draw back. Cost me a 12 point this past fall. That's why I switched.
    Thanks Beffie and Bootlegger

12. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Depending on how far away you are when the arrows enter at that angle will depend on which way to move your rest. My advice (with any rest for that matter) is to visually center your arrow by looking at the front of the bow and it's relationship between the limb bolt holes. As for rest height up and down it's best to start by centering your arrow through the berger hole. That's a start. From there I paper tune using a bare shaft, no fletchings, as it gives you the best idea what the arrow is doing right out of the bow without any possibility of a fletching touching something. Paper tune at 6 ft. away or slightly less and make sure your arrow passes completely through the paper before it touches the target behind. If the nock tear is to the left (which is similar to the results you are getting in the target) then the arrow rest needs to be adjusted to the left, vice versa for a RH nock tear. Make sure your adjustments are very small, like 1/16 of an inch or less. Vertical nock tears can also be adjusted by raising and lowering the rest ever so slightly. Remember that your grip (torque) will have an effect on left and right nock tears too. Read up on here for the best way to grip your bow for the least amount of torque.

13. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Let me also say don't ever regret switching from a whisker biscuit to a drop away. Once you have it tuned you should notice a marked increase in your accuracy IMO. Once that arrow is on it's way nothing should touch it to help steer the arrow in an errant direction before it completely leaves the bow.