New to Bows

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by mgoldman14, Nov 26, 2014.

1. mgoldman14

mgoldman14 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hi, my name is Myles. I'm 18 from Long Island, I've been watching the show Arrow for a while and it really caught my attention of bows. Now i'm a strong guy, 6'2 230 lbs. I'm looking for a bow thats good for just target shooting in my backyard. I've shot a bow and arrow before but I didn't know a whole lot about it but it was fun. So for X-mas I want to get a set just to get myself on my feet. i'm looking for a compound bow or recurve but whatever you guys prefer for newbies is fine. Thanks!

2. RocknMuzzy

RocknMuzzy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Myles, welcome to the site. You should get plenty of good advice from the guys and gals on this site. A very friendly and helpful bunch. As far as a good set up there are lots of variables (budget, draw length, poundage able to pull, etc...). I would recommend looking up a local archery shop, and paying them a visit. They will help you to get a basic understanding of what is available, what your needs are to properly enjoy the sport and so forth. One thing that I personally would recommend is using a compound bow. They have let off up to 80% meaning if you are pulling a 60lb draw weight at full draw you will be holding back 12 pounds of pull (with 80% let off) instead of the full 60 lbs. I believe this is good for someone starting out to help them develop good shooting skills. Hopefully this makes sense and you have an archery shop nearby.

3. mgoldman14

mgoldman14 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you, i'm going to take a look!

4. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome and to start I would locate a good archery shop and shoot a handful of bows to see what you like. My buddy is around your size and shoots and 80lb pull so I am sure if you found a bow with limbs 70-80lb you should be fine there.

5. mgoldman14

mgoldman14 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys, you guys are very nice!

6. Simplicity

Simplicity Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the site and welcome to the passion of archery. To reiterate what the two said above me, visit a local pro shop and state your situation and they will hopefully do what they can to get you set up correctly. If you can, visit more than one pro shop (preferably one that sells different bows than the first) so you can keep your options open to a number of bows. Getting set up correctly is very important and crucial to archery, a lot of beginners make the mistake of rushing through this process.

Good luck!

7. mgoldman14

mgoldman14 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys, any good websites?

8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Will really help to find a near by shop they can help you get set up. Hopefully you can find one with an indoor range.

9. mgoldman14

mgoldman14 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not a big fan of the look of compound bows although I know they're easier. but is there an easier recurve to use?

10. mgoldman14

mgoldman14 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I got a Barnett Vortex and a foam cube target and some easton arrows. the tips of the arrows keep breaking.