Advice on setting sights and how to keep from pulling to the left when shooting.

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by cody_powell3, Nov 24, 2014.

1. cody_powell3

cody_powell3 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I just got a bow this year. Im 19 and have been bow hunting several times but only to watch. This is my first year to actually go out and hunt with a bow by myself that is mine. I just need some advice on how to measure out distance when you don't have any actual measuring advice so you can set up your pins. Also what should i set my top pin at, meaning closest distance, most people have said 15 or 20 but I wanted to hear some professional advice. Second I've noticed when i have shot bows i tend to pull to the left, I don't know why i am and wanted to know if anyone has any ideas of what could cause me to do that so i can look at them and correct them if they are wrong. Thanks for any and all advice. Much appreciated!

2. b_walte15

b_walte15 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    For measuring distance you are just gonna have to step it off. A rangefinder will be one the best investments you can make but just practice estimating fist maces and then steeping them off to see how close you are. You will get so much better by doing this. The best advice I have ever heard for setting your top pin in the #1 distance you expect to shoot an animal. For me this was 20 yds and it also helps that anything closer than that hits the same for me. Make sure your pressure on the grip is applied toward the target and really focus on a smooth and natural follow through straight to your intended target. Focus focus focus. Hope this was able to help you at least a little!