New to the archery scene, need some advice.

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by hutch14, Nov 18, 2014.

1. hutch14

hutch14 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've been looking to get into bow hunting but I have no idea what I'm doing. I've been hunting all my life, just not archery. The rifle season in Utah is only two weeks long so i don't get to do too much hunting. It's also much easier to get tags for archery so I figured I should give bow hunting a shot. Any suggestions on what bows are good for beginners would be appreciated. I'm not looking to spend too much money but I also realize this sport isn't cheap. Any other general tips or advice for a beginner would be awesome.

2. b_walte15

b_walte15 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    There's not really a bad bow out there. Go shoot a bunch in your price range and see what you like. I would definitely give Mission a good look. Best of luck to ya bud!

3. MO Shorthair

MO Shorthair Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The bow is only the beginning of the expense. For a beginner get a budget and try to stick with it. Some shops will put a package together for you which will include bow, arrows, rest, sight, stabilizer, peep, quiver and in some cases release. My first set up was actually used it was just what I needed until I figured out exactly what I wanted.

4. Jimmie

Jimmie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Once you decide what's best for you, the only thing I can add is PRACTICE. Bow hunting is the best. I've only
    been using the bow a short time but have hunted for more than 40 years. Without a doubt, bow hunting is the
    most gratifying. Best of luck.

5. Diabolikal

Diabolikal Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with what has been said. I used to gun hunt when I was younger. Picked up a bow 3 years ago and haven't looked back. Check the classifieds on the forum as well. I have my Mission Ballistic on there for sale right now.

6. American Honky

American Honky Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    To get a good bow with decent equipment and arrows you're probably not going to spend any less than $850 or $900 for the whole package in my mind. You need to pick a good pro shop and then try a couple on for size... I would advise to get a name brand bow mainly because if you grow to like archery, you'll probably want to upgrade in three years. A solid bow by a popular brand is a lot more salable, which you in turn will be a quick sale and and also fetching you a reasonable return on your original investment.

7. American Honky

American Honky Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    By the way... Regarding brands, I love my Hoyt, but any great bow like Hoyt or Mathews is going to run around $1000 for a bare bow... I've never owned one, but Bowtech has always struck me as a great bow, especially for the money. Not going to lie, it's going to be tough to get yourself ready for the season if you're starting from zero with only two weeks until opening day. Best of luck out there

8. ARCHER_CHI_RHO

ARCHER_CHI_RHO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Howdy?

It's difficult to go wrong if you try out as many bows you're able and find the one that feels the best and gives you the greatest confidence for your money.

The very first bow I purchased on my own was a diamond, back before bowtech bought them, and even though it was considered their "entry level," it killed plenty of deer :)

9. RocknMuzzy

RocknMuzzy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hutch, I grew up in Utah and have since moved to Washington State, because I have a lifetime license for the state of Utah, I still go back every year for the archery deer hunt. The reason I tell you this is because you are in for a whole new exciting type of hunting. Archery hunting is in my opinion a whole lot more exciting. The state of Utah definitely has some great opportunities for archery hunting.

As far as a bow goes I agree with what has already been stated. Determine your budget and do your best to stay within it. I for one am not made of money and usually lean more to the economical side of purchases. I have bow hunted deer in Utah for almost 30 years, and have hunted with several different bows. I currently shoot a Bowtech bow (The Rock), and my three boys shoot the same brand. Not saying it is any better than the other bows being made, but for its money I am sold on the bows performance. Especially for someone starting out. You do not want to spend a lot of money to possibly find out you don't like it (which I doubt will happen). Plus they usually come in a package (bow, sights, and rest).