I found out that I'm still a newbie...

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by mrjonwilson, Nov 10, 2014.

1. mrjonwilson

mrjonwilson Newb

Dislikes Received:
    First off, I have yet to get a deer with my bow. I bow hunted very little when I was a teenager. I'm 31 and have been bow hunting only during archery season for the last three years. Then I pick up the rifle and slaughter them. haha

I decided this year, I'm bowhunting most of the season.

Well, Friday evening was a beautiful evening. Got in the stand a little late, about 3:30. Just before sunset, I had a big mature doe make her way to 35 yards broadside. (I've been practicing out to 50, although I won't take a shot that far just yet. I'm very comfortable within 40 yards though.) Well, everything was perfect. I drew while she was behind a tree, and she never knew I was there. When she stepped out in the open and stopped, I put my 40 yard pin low on her, right behind the shoulder and released. It was a perfect release and follow through. She jumped the string then I watched her run off. I thought then that I had missed her. I waited till dark, got down, and found my arrow. It had hair on the broadhead, and just a speck or 2 of blood on the fletching. I then knew that I just grazed the top of her back when she ducked.

I've been playing the shot over and over in my mind for the last few days. I feel like I should have used my 30 yard pin instead, and she would have ducked right into it.

Am I thinking right? Anything 20 and less, use the 20 yard pin, 30 and less, use the 30, etc.? Is that how y'all do it?

Anybody have any pointers?

2. rsmith

rsmith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would stand at 25 and 35 yards, and use the gap as a pin and try and "split the difference" it works good for me so that's what I would do if I had one standing at 25 or 35 yards