Noob bowhunter jitters and freezing up. First Time Jitter or I am just a coward?

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Goober, Oct 31, 2014.

1. Goober

Goober Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hi name's Goober(not my real name but..) and I am obviouly new here. I am the youngest of ten boys and live on the farm my great-grand dad bought. I am 21 years old and despite living in the rural areas, I have never hunted anything before. I am a proud mama's boys but have been wanting to learn how to hunt animals and process the animal I kill.

Anyways, like I said I have never shot anything with anything. I am not just new to bowhunting I am new to hunting in general. My first time hunting, I had manage to find a good spot and was lucky to find a doe not to far from me. I got my rifle(I was experimenting with different things),scoped in and aimed...and aimed...and aimed. I couldn't pull the trigger. I tried multiple time in differnet areas. With bows, rifles, even slingshot. I pointed(never shot) at deer, squirells, boar, and doves and still could release the bow or shot the gun/slingshot.

My grandpa says it's because I don't have a hunters bone in my body, that I am more of a farmer but I doubt it is just that. My dad said it is normal and to keep going out there with him and one day when I am ready, to not rush it which is good advice but doesn't help me with the freezing up, fast breathing/hyperveniation and etc.

So I was wondering if any of you guys, bowhunter or gunhunter, have any advice for me to help with me not being able to pull the trigger? Or am I just being a wimp?(it's what my brothers say)

2. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome, Having jitters may never go away, I've been hunting for awhile and I still get excited just seeing doe walk up on me while I'm in stand, and if a buck comes in...I almost fall out of the tree with excitement. Its a big deal taking your first animal especially when it could be bigger than you! Go through the process of what has to happen to take this animal appropriately then pull the trigger. Look at it as an experience and not a task! Good Luck

3. jackg384

jackg384 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    When you dont get that feeling something is wrong. Happens to me every single time. I love it! Its a rush! Keep at it. Once you get one you're hooked! I just started bow hunting this season... i have missed 4 deer. One i shot at twice! I can rip holes through any target at all different distances. But when that deer comes out its a different story. Good luck!

4. Longdraw

Longdraw Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    you SHOULD get pumped when the deer come into view or close. It's how quick you calm down and go through your pre shot movement. If you need to count when practicing, then you count when the back straps get close. Remember: inhale, hold, exhale slowly, then repeat.
    Keep reading here, I'm a city boy and learned almost everything from reading this site!

5. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would practice on 3D targets that mimic the animal you are after. If you are shooting deer with a bow, get a realistic 3D buck target and practice. So when you transition to the hunt, just go thru the same motions as if you are shooting at the target and it will make it easier to release the arrow. Don't think as if its a deer but as a target you are just shooting at.

6. f.c.geil

f.c.geil Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Really good advice so far. I've been hunting seems like all my life (I'm about as old as your father), and I still get the jitters, every time. Learning to control them is the key to hunting well. Your dad is right, keep at it, and you'll shoot when you're ready. My boy went out with me every year from 12 on up, and he didn't flip the switch on one until he was 18. It's okay, there's nothing wrong with you. Try getting into other exciting situations and calming yourself, or at least control your breathing. It helps (when added to the other advice above).