Noob: Concealment and bringing them in close

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by chrispret, Oct 30, 2014.

1. chrispret

chrispret Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm a first year hunter, looking for some advice. I'm from South-central Ontario and hunting public land (forests) using a climber. I am planning to work on private land permission after the season is done, but this year will mostly be public land only.

Last night I rattled in a nice(ish) buck (largish 6 point rack, likely 2.5 year old). He came in up to around 25 yards on the upwind side, but was behind cover the whole time so I didn't get a shot. I would have gladly taken him as my first buck.

Even though I tried to set up my stand high (about 18-20 feet) with other trees in the background to help break up my outline, he spotted me almost immediately. We stood there checking each other out for what felt like hours, but was likely only 3 - 5 minutes, he seemed to calm down a bit and started browsing around a bit and eventually left the wrong way.

I'd like to add that I was standing almost perfectly still from the time I ended my rattling until I spotted him. Only slow head movement since I heard him approach and as still as I could bearing in mind that my heart was racing. After I spotted him I think I would have beat a marble statue had it not been for the crazy heartbeat.

As he was walking away I tried to grunt once or twice, but he didn't even look around.

So my questions are:
    1. Is it common for deer to spot you quickly? If not, how do you improve your chances of them not seeing you?
    2. Once they do spot you, are you toast and should just try to minimize the damage?
    3. Can you get a deer to turn around when they walk away?
    4. How long should I wait before hunting the area again, keeping in mind that it is public land?
    5. Would it be better to place my stand in a different tree next time I hunt the area?

Thanks

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  2. chrispret

chrispret Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Bump, anyone?

3. b_walte15

b_walte15 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    1) it weird how they are able to do that. If you had trees breaking up your background it should have made it a little more tough for him. Maybe try having a little brush in your foreground, but to where you can still shoot in a couple lanes
    2)even if you are toast, it doesn't hurt to minimize the damage esp since there may be deer you don't see
    3)its possible, but not likely. you usually just have to hope they decide to
    4)if he calmly walked off you should be good to go. Maybe try setting up in a little different spot. - its public land and if you're not out there its a good chance someone else will be
    5)it wouldn't hurt to change things up a little

4. b_walte15

b_walte15 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hope that helped at least a little

5. chrispret

chrispret Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Ty, just confirming that I have the right idea is helpful already.

6. StraitR

StraitR Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm new, too, both here and to bowhuntiing, but from what I've read and been told, this would be my guess as to what happened...

Never been in your part of the world, but if you're in the hills, it's possible you were busted by a wind swirl. One sniff and they'll stop, sniff, and listen. If they catch another whiff, they'll run. If they don't, but can't figure it out, they'll normally trot off in the direction they came, which is deemed the safest route. At that point, they're usually pretty hard to turn, which is why you didn't get a response to the departing grunts.

Best of luck.

7. chrispret

chrispret Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Not in the hills and I was hunting into a mild but consistent wind. I'm pretty sure he spotted me rather than winded me.

Thanks for the input though, I appreciate it even if the scenario was a little different.

8. StraitR

StraitR Newb

Dislikes Received:
    No worries. Anyway, you clearly won the staring contest. You'll get him next time.