New to BowHunting

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by LiLChris, Oct 28, 2014.

1. LiLChris

LiLChris Newb

Dislikes Received:
    After 10+ years of always wanting a bow, I finally got motivated to go get one.
    Also cause I actually have people to go with as I rather not go alone...yet.

We went to BassPro last night to ask questions, and in the end he said I can't get anything for $200 for hunting.
    I am willing to up the budget to $300 but that is really pushing my budget for starting something, when I still need to buy clothes/boots and arrows etc.

Going to be hunting in the South/Mid Florida area, starting with Pigs/Turkeys then will move up to Deer.

I am...
    5'5" 127 pounds, 26" Draw.

What can you suggest?
    I am willing to buy used but kinda scared to do so.

2. ARCHER_CHI_RHO

ARCHER_CHI_RHO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    there's always the classifieds or clearance racks.

3. ARCHER_CHI_RHO

ARCHER_CHI_RHO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    howdy? btw =)

4. LiLChris

LiLChris Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Yea that is an option, any suggestion on type of bows though?
    I am looking here right now on Craigslist - south florida sporting goods "compound bow" - craigslist

Hey. :)

5. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Well I would have to agree that at that budget of $300 you are going to be very hard pressed to find much. And you are right to realize that even after your bow purchase you are still going to have to purchase a release, arrows, broadheads, target, clothing, treestand or blind at a minimum. Looking used can be a great way to go. I would strongly suggest that you have an archery professional look over any bow you are considering before purchasing it though. A hairline crack in a limb can be unnoticeable to he untrained but can have deadly consequences. I would keep an eye on the classifieds on archery forums and shop around at local Pro Shops to see if any carry used bows.

6. Badmeat

Badmeat Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I picked up a 2014 PSE Drive LT ready to shoot pkg a few weeks ago for $425 shipped. I realize that's over your price range, but my point is- you should be able to find some 2014 ready to shoot bows for a good deal this time of the year.

7. LiLChris

LiLChris Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Finally found a local shop, literally 5 blocks away just hidden in warehouses.
    I got there 10 minutes before they closed and are not open on Wednesdays.

They have a deal going (need to research myself as I just got home) for a Hoyt Charger that includes everything except arrows/case/release for $399.
    Way out of my budget and in the end the guy told me I will have to spend at least $500 to walk out of that place ready to shoot with it.

They also have some other stuff just didn't have time to look around.

Site - Blessed Archery
    Yes I am aware of how the site looks :p

I will be stalking craigs/ebay and their shop looking for deals.
    Checking out the classifieds as well tonight.

8. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Bow hunting on a tight budget is difficult but not impossible. Just keep in mind that an older bow, if in shoot able condition, will kill game just as dead as a brand new top of the line model and do it for a fraction of the cost.

9. NwBowhunter

NwBowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I got the bow for you!. Look up 2013 pse stinger 3G. Perfect budget bow! In your budget too. I have one myself and it works good. It's not the best, but I've killed many deer with it so far.

10. Broadhead27

Broadhead27 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    1st off Welcome to the site LilChris!

Based off of what you've posted..i'm like 80% your from Miami..am I right? I'm out of West kendall! It's great to see someone from SoFLa on here!

I'm well familiar with the guys at Blessed Archery..great group of guys except one! N I can't remember his name right now but he's a real ****! other than that it's a great shop to be going to.. Which Bass pro did you go to? The one in Broward or the one in Dolphin?

& as far as $300 budget goes it's possible to make something happen but you will come to realize that like any hobby you can spend a lot on it. My advice is research research research and don't make any purchases out of desperation N if you have any questions this forum is a great place for tips, advice, ect.. The guys at blessed are a good resource as well...& like I said depending which bass pro u went to I have a personal friend that is an expert bow tech. let me know.

11. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the site! Keep checking ebay and craigslist. You may have to buy an older bow. If you do, get a new string put on it.

12. chaser1xx1

chaser1xx1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    That was the best I can't wait till my little buddy is ready to go

13. LiLChris

LiLChris Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So I finally decided on the Hoyt Charger they had for sale, but they only had 27 and 70lbs, so that went out the window.
    I am now deciding between a Mission Riot ($399) or Hoyt Ignite Package ($399).

14. Grube

Grube Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Mission makes a great bow for small frame shooters. I used to have one and loved it but i moved up to Mathews. But the Mission bows brand new they are around $500 but you can find used ones for cheaper.:bow:

15. Riverbc

Riverbc Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  16. Michael.herb

Michael.herb Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would also recommend a PSE Vision. I have never used one but everyone I have talked to said it was a great starting bow that preforms well. It comes as a ready to shoot package as well, you would need arrows and a release. As far as clothing, I wouldnt get to caught up in it. I used old military uniforms for the longest time which you can find pretty cheap.

17. quickscope

quickscope Newb

Dislikes Received:
    You might try looking for something a manufactured a few years back. That way you can get something a little cheaper without having to buy used. You don't want to spend your hard earned money on a bow not knowing what the heck some knuckle head did with it.